OT - Warshing cloze

  • theoldpro
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2003
      From: theoldpro

      Subject: Warshing cloze

      Years ago a Kentucky grandmother gave a new bride the following recipe for washing
      clothes. It appears below just as it was written, and despite the spelling, has a bit of philosophy.
      This is an exact copy as written and found in an old scrap book (with spelling errors and all).

      Warshing Cloze

      1. Bilt fire in backyard to heat kettle of rain water.

      2. Set tubs so smoke wont blow in eyes if wind is pert.

      3. Shave one hole cake of lie soap in bilin water.

      4. Sort things, make 3 piles, 1 pile white, 1 pile colored, 1 pile
      work britches and rags.

      5. To make starch, stir flour in cool water to smooth, then
      thin down with bilin water.

      6. Take white things, rub dirty spots on board, scrub hard,
      and then bile. Rub colored, don't bile, just rinch and
      starch.

      7. Take things out of kettle with broomstick handle, then
      rinch, and starch.

      8. Hang old rags on fence.

      9. Spread tea towels on grass.

      10. Pore rinch water in flower bed.

      11. Scrub porch with hot soapy water.

      12. Turn tubs upside down.

      13. Go put on clean dress, smooth hair with hair combs. Brew
      cup of tea, sit down and rock a spell and count your blessings.
      We are so fortunate to have all that we have.

      * * Paste this over your washer and dryer and next time when
      you think things are bleak, read it again and give thanks
      for your blessings! * * *