Bratislava

  • Amanda
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 7 7:29 PM
      I have been getting phone calls from Bratislava every day for the last 3
      days - from my husband.

      He arrived there Friday afternoon to be met at the bus station by my cousin
      Igor. He is staying in the area of Lamac with a friend of mine who works
      for Tatra Bank. On Saturday he went walking with them and shopping, then
      yesterday, Sunday had lunch with my aunt and cousins in Dubravka. Today he
      will go visit the city and maybe the mining department near Slovak
      Television and the cintorin and then go to our friend's 50th birthday
      celebrations.

      Tomorrow he will go by bus to Prague where he is presenting at the European
      Explosives Engineers conference for 3 days.

      I'm very proud of his achievements in getting to go to the conference and
      for wanting to spend 4 days of his life with my family and friends and the
      huge communication gap.

      I also am as jealous as all hell which only people on this group can truly
      appreciate!

      Amanda Lovitt
      Boulder Western Australia
    • theoldpro
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 7 9:44 PM
        Hello Amanda,

        Is your husband going to take a few pictures while he is there?

        Gee, too bad you didn't go with him to Slovakia; you've been there before, right?

        Well, if there's still time, perhaps you can hop on a flight to Prague and
        meet him there.

        theoldpro
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Amanda
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 7 11:11 PM
          Hi

          I have been to Bratislava twice before, once in 1998 and once in 2001.
          First I went alone, then I took husband and 3 sons with me.

          That's why I'm not there now - 3 sons! They are 8, 10 and 12 so not
          exactly old enough to leave alone for a couple of weeks. The oldest assures
          me he could cope and could even drive the car! I'm not convinced.

          Amanda
        • agp@telerama.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 8 3:17 AM
            Ahoj all!

            Hearing that Amanda's husband is now in Bratislava raises my anticipation
            as I'll be there in less than 2 months :-)

            So -- does any one have any hotel recommendations for the city.

            I'm getting really excited. Just bought all my various electrical adapters
            the otehr day. I wonder if its too early to start to pack :-)

            Tony Pavick
          • e.gernat@att.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 8 5:45 AM
              Tony

              Been to Slovakia 3 times, last year for 2 months. My advise is to pack now
              then next month repack leaving only what you need such as clothing and meds.
              You can buy anything else there at a cheaper price. I can't recomend any
              hotels as we stayed with many relatives and 3 weeks at the Thermia Spa in
              Piestany. I know you will love the country. Hope you rent a car as bus and
              train travel is not that much fun. Edie
              > Ahoj all!
              >
              > Hearing that Amanda's husband is now in Bratislava raises my anticipation
              > as I'll be there in less than 2 months :-)
              >
              > So -- does any one have any hotel recommendations for the city.
              >
              > I'm getting really excited. Just bought all my various electrical adapters
              > the otehr day. I wonder if its too early to start to pack :-)
              >
              > Tony Pavick

            • Ron Milliken
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 9 8:32 PM
                My wife and I stayed at the Danube Hotel in Brataslava in 1997. It was
                really nice and we enjoyed it very much. It is right on the edge of the
                beautiful old historical part of town, and easy walking distance to nice
                stores, the town square with outdoor bazaar, great restaurants such as
                the Arkadia, etc.

                Ron

                agp@... wrote:

                >Ahoj all!
                >
                >Hearing that Amanda's husband is now in Bratislava raises my anticipation
                >as I'll be there in less than 2 months :-)
                >
                >So -- does any one have any hotel recommendations for the city.
                >
                >I'm getting really excited. Just bought all my various electrical adapters
                >the otehr day. I wonder if its too early to start to pack :-)
                >
                >Tony Pavick

              • Bernardine Weigand
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 10 7:54 AM
                  We stayed at the Danube in 2000 and again in 2002. You are right about that Ron. All is in easy walking distance. Additionally, you are right across the street from the Danube River where there is a lovely walkway to enjoy the views. There are great views from the hotel also, even though you won't be in your room much. The gift shop in the hotel has some nice quality souvenir items which I thought were competitively priced. The girl in the gift shop wrapped and packed breakable/fragile items very well.

                  You will have a wonderful time. I want to go again.

                  Best wishes,
                  Bernardine

                  Ron Milliken wrote:

                  > My wife and I stayed at the Danube Hotel in Brataslava in 1997. It was
                  > really nice and we enjoyed it very much. It is right on the edge of the
                  > beautiful old historical part of town, and easy walking distance to nice
                  > stores, the town square with outdoor bazaar, great restaurants such as
                  > the Arkadia, etc.
                  >
                  > Ron
                  >
                  > agp@... wrote:
                  >
                  > >Ahoj all!
                  > >
                  > >Hearing that Amanda's husband is now in Bratislava raises my anticipation
                  > >as I'll be there in less than 2 months :-)
                  > >
                  > >So -- does any one have any hotel recommendations for the city.
                  > >
                  > >I'm getting really excited. Just bought all my various electrical adapters
                  > >the otehr day. I wonder if its too early to start to pack :-)
                  > >
                  > >Tony Pavick

                • Mary
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 10 9:58 AM
                    Ditto the Hotel Danube. The breakfast buffet is wonderful, too. Ask for a
                    room that looks out toward the castle. At night, it's spectacular!

                    Mary

                    Ron Milliken wrote:

                    > My wife and I stayed at the Danube Hotel in Brataslava in 1997. It was
                    > really nice and we enjoyed it very much. It is right on the edge of the
                    > beautiful old historical part of town, and easy walking distance to nice
                    > stores, the town square with outdoor bazaar, great restaurants such as >
                    the Arkadia, etc. >
                    > Ron
                    >
                    > agp@... wrote:
                    >
                    > >Ahoj all!
                    > >
                    > >Hearing that Amanda's husband is now in Bratislava raises my
                    anticipation > >as I'll be there in less than 2 months :-) > > > >So --
                    does any one have any hotel recommendations for the city. > > > >I'm
                    getting really excited. Just bought all my various electrical adapters >
                    >the otehr day. I wonder if its too early to start to pack :-) > > > >Tony
                    Pavick > > > > > > > > > >To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
                    to: > >Slovak-World-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                    > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > > > > > > > > >

                    Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark Printer
                    at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
                    http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/KDdolB/TM
                  • CurtB
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 4, 2012
                      Todays New York Times/Travel section has a full page article on visiting Bratislava.

                      http://travel.nytimes.com/2012/03/04/travel/in-bratislava-slovakia-a-chance-to-enjoy-local-flavors-without-the-crowds-overnighter.html

                      Curt B.