Pianos in Slovakia

  • durisek@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 27, 2003
      Hi all... I've found pianos hidden all over Slovakia, from villages to larger
      cities...in apartments, homes, hotels. Being a piano teacher, folks are
      compelled to share them with me. I wonder sometimes how they all got there.
      Keyboards are there, too. But just because they look like pianos, don't be
      fooled...they're not. Does it make a difference? You bet. Sound-wise, because it's
      like comparing the sound quality of an acoustic guitar with an electric
      one....it's a different experience because of the way the sound is created. Touch
      wise, because of the physical mechanics of throwing hammers with your fingers
      vs electrical switching, no matter how 'realistic' the keyboard feel is
      advertised. Technique is different for each. Electric keyboards do have some
      positive aspects, though. You can hook them up to computers, they're portable and
      you can play with all kinds of neat sound effects. Aesthetic and practical
      choices need to be weighed... but they're not the same instrument. do re mi...
      Zuzka