slovak trip

  • capt jack
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 5, 2003
      ahoy,

      Went to red rock castle today, wonderful place, it contains the largest cellar in the whole country, its amassing how much excavating was done to create this cellar for storage of foods and wines. After the tour we took a ride back to Tranava and bought some good Slovak leaded crystal. Yesterday after walking around the old section of Bratislava, we walked all the way up to the castle overlooking the Danube river and the city of Bratislava, wonderful views. Wed. morning early we leave for Prague for two days, that should be an interesting trip while we try and locate some relatives on my wife's side. They are from a town a bit north of Prague almost to the border. Of course, while we are there, we also buy some Czech crystal.
      We are having a wonderful time with my relatives and I just wanted to give you an update on what has been going on in case anyone is interested.

      Jim

    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 5, 2003
        Hey Capt!

        Glad to hear you are having so much fun -- I can speak for myself, I'm jealous! I like the updates, so if you have access to a puter, please don't hesitate to give us a blow-by-blow, plus once you get home, you'll have a daily diary to remind you of the places you saw.

        Caye

        capt jack <captjack00@...> wrote:
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • David
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 5, 2003
          Hi Jack: Opps! I guess we better not say that around the airport. Wow!
          Sounds like you are having a ball. Keep us informed because we will be
          living the trip with you. In fact, some of the stuff you have written about
          is what I also saw when I toured Slovakia, and it brings back wonderful
          memories. Enjoy!
          Dave Kuchta

        • Evonri@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 5, 2003
            Jim: It's always nice to hear that a trip is going as planned. So glad you
            are enjoying it -- and you can never have too much crystal!!

            Rita
          • nhasior@aol.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 5, 2003
              humblebe@... writes:

              > Hi Jack: Opps! I guess we better not say that around the airport

              Dave,
              great pun on words.

              Jim,
              glad you are having a good trip. connections sound like they are all
              working out. being with family must be just about the best thing. keep posting.
              looking forward to hearing more.
              Noreen

            • capt jack
              Message 6 of 19 , May 1, 2004
                We are preparing to send our son to Slovakia this June, as a gift for graduating college. When we were visiting there last year, some of my relatives made it known that they would enjoy some good Kentucky bourbon. My question concerns sending some with him when he visits.
                Is there any limit to how much he can take with him, or is it not allowed to bring liquor through customs when entering Europe and Slovakia? I'm curious if any of you have any knowledge of what is permissible in this matter. Thanks for your input.

                CJ

              • Vladimir Bohinc
                Message 7 of 19 , May 2, 2004
                  My experience on various European borders is one lliter or bottle of hard drink or two liters of wine.
                  Kentucky bourbon can be bought anywhere, here too.
                  I prefer Southern comfort.
                  Vladimir

                  We are preparing to send our son to Slovakia this June, as a gift for graduating college. When we were visiting there last year, some of my relatives made it known that they would enjoy some good Kentucky bourbon. My question concerns sending some with him when he visits.
                  Is there any limit to how much he can take with him, or is it not allowed to bring liquor through customs when entering Europe and Slovakia? I'm curious if any of you have any knowledge of what is permissible in this matter. Thanks for your input.

                  CJ

                  http://www.eset.sk

                • area9103
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 2, 2004
                    If his experience is the same as I have had several times the only
                    limit is in what he can physically carry. Make sure he knows how to
                    drink and survive however!

                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, capt jack <captjack00@y...>
                    wrote:
                    > We are preparing to send our son to Slovakia this June, as a gift
                    for graduating college. When we were visiting there last year, some
                    of my relatives made it known that they would enjoy some good
                    Kentucky bourbon. My question concerns sending some with him when he
                    visits.
                    > Is there any limit to how much he can take with him, or is it
                    not allowed to bring liquor through customs when entering Europe and
                    Slovakia? I'm curious if any of you have any knowledge of what is
                    permissible in this matter. Thanks for your input.

                    > CJ

                  • gergely
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 2, 2004
                      I picked up some Jack Daniels at the Budapest duty free when we entered,
                      prior to driving to Slovakia. It was a hit, and saved trying to carry it
                      internationally.
                      Jack Gergely

                      Message 10 of 19 , May 2, 2004
                        Jck,

                        I want to send some "Markers Mark" brand from Kentucky, Im not sure they sell that in Europe.

                        CJ

                      • Vladimir Linder
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 2, 2004
                          They do have a Jack Daniels. Markers Mark, probably not. To be on the safe
                          side he should take just one bottle. You never know. USA and North American
                          tourist are subject to passport control and also a luggage check at random
                          at the point of entry to European Union.

                          Vladimir Linder

                          At 10:46 AM 5/2/2004, you wrote:
                          >Jck,
                          >
                          > I want to send some "Markers Mark" brand from Kentucky, Im not sure
                          > they sell that in Europe.
                          >
                          >CJ

                          >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                          ><http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129ge60vh/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=groups/S=1705103562:HM/EXP=1083606407/A=1894285/R=2/id=noscript/SIG=118tuuldn/*http://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch>
                          >edf5a4.jpg
                          >
                          >edf5d7.jpg

                          > *
                          >
                          > *

                        • capt jack
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 2, 2004
                            Thanks to all who replied,

                            It is still unsettled though, it seems I can take one liter or as much as I can carry! I would assume the answer is somewhere inbetween.

                            CJ

                          • J. Michutka
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 2, 2004
                              Hi All,

                              I have a couple of questions that have arisen as I've been looking at
                              microfilmed records. One appears to be a notation of date of death,
                              appended to marriage records. But the appended note is written very tiny
                              in each case, so I'm not sure I'm reading all the letters correctly. eg a
                              marriage record for a date in 1895, with a tiny note that appears to read
                              "zemich zomrel 11.VI.1957" I assume this means that one of the marriage
                              partners died on 11 June 1957, but which one? "zemich" is stumping me! Do
                              I assume it's the groom, 'cause otherwise it'd be "zomrela"?

                              Another marriage record in Village A, 1896, written out just like all the
                              other marriage records, and in the notes column "civiliter copulati in
                              <neighboring village B>"--the couple was married by civil law in the
                              neighboring village B. I didn't even know that civil marriage was an
                              option. Now I'm wondering how often people might have exercised that
                              option; how many records am I missing seeing because they might have been
                              registered at the gov't level, and not in the parish? Anyone know anything
                              about this?

                              Julie Michutka
                              jmm@...
                            • Vladimir Bohinc
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 2, 2004
                                Dear Julie,
                                If you come into times after 1895, you may always reckon with the possibility, that there was a civil marriage, which was compulsory and no church marriage.
                                Zenich is a broom.
                                Vladimir

                                Message 15 of 19 , May 3, 2004
                                  When my parents got married in 1936, a civil ceremoney was compulsory
                                  and a religious one optional. My parents were very religious, so the
                                  civil ceremony was something they had to do, but they always considered
                                  their religious ceremony (a couple of days later) as their real wedding
                                  day.

                                  "Zenich" is the groom.

                                  Helen

                                  >>> konekta@... 5/3/2004 2:31:08 AM >>>
[...]

                                  Service.

                                  http://www.eset.sk

                                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                                  var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new Array();lrec_URL[1] =
                                  "http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129glup90/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=groups/S=1705103562:HM/EXP=1083662791/A=1874381/R=0/id=flashurl/SIG=118tuuldn/*http://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch";var
                                  link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";var lrec_flashfile =
                                  'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_companion/302_v1_mal_lrec_01.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';var
                                  lrec_altURL =
                                  "http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129glup90/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=groups/S=1705103562:HM/EXP=1083662791/A=1874381/R=1/id=altimgurl/SIG=118tuuldn/*http://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch";var
                                  lrec_altimg =
                                  "http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_companion/302_v1_mal_lrec_01.gif";var
                                  lrec_width = 300;var lrec_height = 250;
                                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                                  To visit your group on the web, go to:
                                • J. Michutka
                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 3, 2004

                                    >Zenich is a broom.
                                    >Vladimir

                                    >"Zenich" is the groom.
                                    >Helen

                                    oh, gosh, which translation to choose........ :)

                                    Just went to my dictionary, which did not have zenich when I looked the
                                    other day, 'cause I'll write in words that it lacks. Oddly enough, it now
                                    has the word; wonder if I looked under z- instead of z^- before?

                                    The dictionary says bridegroom; Vladimir, what exactly have you been using
                                    to sweep the floors?

                                    d'akujem pekne, to you both!

                                    Julie Michutka
                                    jmm@...
                                  • J. Michutka
                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 3, 2004
                                      At 08:31 AM 5/3/04 +0200, you wrote:
                                      >Dear Julie,
                                      >If you come into times after 1895, you may always reckon with the
                                      >possibility, that there was a civil marriage, which was compulsory and no
                                      >church marriage.

                                      Thank you Vladimir, as usual you are a gold mine of information. Do the
                                      civil records still exist, eg in regional archives or the towns themselves
                                      (in which case I bet some would have been lost/destroyed by now)?

                                      Julie Michutka
                                      jmm@...
                                    • Vladimir Bohinc
                                      Message 18 of 19 , May 3, 2004
                                        Dear Julie,
                                        Civil records are something completely different than church records. They are all there, kept at Town Halls or Mayor's
                                        offices. The Registrar's office is caller Matrika or Matricny urad.
                                        Civil records fall under privacy law, so a spacial procedure is required if you want something from them. They usually also are not very fond of doing any research. They understand their duty to issue a Certificate, if you know name, date and place and if you are entitled to receive it, according to the privacy law.
                                        Lately, some older civil records , before 1903, began to have been transferred to the archives. Before they will be available for viewing, some more water will flow.
                                        Vladimir

                                        Message 19 of 19 , May 3, 2004
                                          sorry Julie, just before writing it, I was in a broom business :-)
                                          ( was in a broom town 10 days ago)
                                          Vladimir