Re: [Slovak-World] Slovaks on list

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 3, 2003
      Aha ...

      For good canning I understand you need a full boil. On the
      participation of Slovak lurkers, I suppose it is a lack of interest in
      American political bickering, language troubles and boredom with some of
      our mundane topics. Now your participation is an exception, and it is
      appreciated as you know, but it also has a commercial element to it.

      Keep on cookin'!

      Ron
      PS Julie, now I am not ashamed to sell Alaska as a great place to be,
      but now Massachusetts I have seen only once and it seemed like a giant
      Ohio suburb. Now to try to sell Alaska as paradise for Slovak
      immigrants!

      Vladimir Bohinc wrote:

      > Canning?
      > This is a national desease here. I hate it. They buy tons of sugar and
      > always complain, how much canning they have to do. Then, the cans stay and
      > nobody wants them.
      > Lurkers?
      > Maybe yes, but no cortibutions and even no defense, if I say something
      > wrong:-)
      > This must be typical again.
      > Vladimir,
      > in best mood , a little below the boiling point.

    • J. Michutka
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 4, 2003
        At 08:01 AM 8/4/03 +0200, you wrote:
        >Dear Julie,
        >Many mushrooms live in simbiosis with some particular trees.
        >Some live only on trees or stumps.
        >========
        >Re Ahoj, Slovaci;
        >I am just wondering, why there is practically no Slovak from Slovakia
        >contributing to this list.
        >Did anyone ever think about why?
        >Vladimir

        I dunno......maybe for the same reason that I'm not on a list extolling the
        history and natural wonders of Massachusetts???

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@...
      • theoldpro

          >Many mushrooms live in simbiosis with some particular trees.
          >Some live only on trees or stumps.
          >========
          >Re Ahoj, Slovaci;
          >I am just wondering, why there is practically no Slovak from Slovakia
          >contributing to this list.
          >Did anyone ever think about why?
          >Vladimir

          I dunno......maybe for the same reason that I'm not on a list extolling the
          history and natural wonders of Massachusetts???

          Julie Michutka
          jmm@...

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Vladimir Bohinc

            > There possibly could be some lurkers from Slovakia on this list. One never
            knows......Many a day goes by that I just lurk the list and read what others
            have to say about life, about Slovakia, about non-Slovak ideas, etc.

            > theoldpro
            >
            > P.S. What about canning peaches?

          • David
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 4, 2003
              Hi: If you don't know anything about mushrooms, don't pick them...no less
              eat them. Some mushrooms don't only make you sick, they can kill. There are
              look alike mushrooms that are both poisonous and well as good to eat. Some
              are very hard to differentiate one from the other. Once some of this poison
              from the mushrooms are in your system, you bought the ranch. All you need
              is some organic material and some wind blown spores from some mushrooms and
              you will have them growing on your property. Of course, you have to have
              the right moisture and for some of them, a certain temperature. That is why
              some grow in the spring, summer, early fall and certain types late in the
              season.
              With all the moisture this year, there should be a bumper crop of
              "mushies," growing wild in our neck of the woods.
              Dave
              At 07:30 PM 8/3/2003 -0700, you wrote:
              >Ahoj Slovaci,
              >
              >Mushrooms: Surprise, surprise! Thursday morning, I noticed about 15
              >mushrooms growing on my front lawn.
              >I've never seen mushrooms growing on anyone's lawn in the neighborhood where
              >I live. What makes a
              >mushroom grow on someone's lawn? The next day, they grew even bigger.
              >
              >They are kind of white with a touch of light brown colour; are they good
              >eating?
              >I heard that mushrooms, the toadstool variety, are poisonous and can make a
              >person very sick or even worse.
              >
              >Peaches: My grandmother, Sophia Mikel-- her wedding picture is attached --,
              >many years ago, used to can peaches in glass Ball jars on the farm in
              >Michigan.
              >They were delicious. Does anyone know how to can this delicious fruit --
              >either cold pack or hot pack?
              >
              >Regards,
              >
              >theoldpro

            • Bill Tarkulich
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 4, 2003
                Perhaps they are all on holiday, unlike us workaholics....

                ______________
                Bill Tarkulich

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 4, 2003
                  This might be gross -- but if a squirrel or rodent died and was not immediately removed, mushrooms will grow -- but remember, that is a good thing, like spiders eating bugs.

                  By the way, try purchasing those HUGE portabello mushrooms and brushing them with flavored oils and then grilling on your bbq -- then put them on a bun with all the regular stuff you'd put on your favorite burger -- believe me you'll be amazed at how healthy this is -- and you won't really miss the meat much if at all -- dare you to try it. For those Orthodox out there, it is a great way to still grill and stick to the Dormition Fast.

                  Oh, and while I'm opining -- take yourself and those you enjoy laughing with to see Pirates of the Carribean -- I thoroughly enjoyed myself, great film!

                  Caye

                  "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:
                  At 07:37 PM 8/3/03 -0700, you wrote:
                  >Ahoj Slovaci,
                  >
                  >Mushrooms: Surprise, surprise! Thursday morning, I noticed about 15
                  >mushrooms growing on my front lawn.
                  >I've never seen mushrooms growing on anyone's lawn in the neighborhood where
                  >I live. What makes a
                  >mushroom grow on someone's lawn?

                  Sometimes they'll grow on decomposing tree roots, ie a tree was cut down,
                  but the roots are still just under the lawn surface. Sometimes you'll see
                  them in a sort of row, not far from a stump of a tree.

                  We used to hunt for morels in the woods in the spring, in Michigan. Morels
                  fried in butter are one of God's greatest gifts, IMHO! It's been years
                  since I've had any. I won't buy them in a store, even if I find them,
                  because they're horribly expensive and not fresh enough.

                  Ah, memories!

                  Julie Michutka
                  jmm@...

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                • agp
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 4, 2003
                    On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Caye Caswick wrote:
                    > By the way, try purchasing those HUGE portabello mushrooms and brushing
                    > them with flavored oils and then grilling on your bbq -- then put them on
                    > a bun with all the regular stuff you'd put on your favorite burger --

                    The yummy thought there was enough to wake me up! I can just smell the
                    aroma!

                    What I do is buy the sliced portabellos and do them on my George Formby
                    grill with a bit of honey mustard and garlic powder. The garlic powder may
                    not make me smell all that nice later, but I never noticed :-)

                    Besides -- since I live by myself who's to know :-)

                    Actually, I eat two small cans of mushrooms (8 oz) every day. They are an
                    excellent way to stretch Weight Watcher's Smart Ones (and Lean Cuisine/
                    Healthy Choice) dinners into a larger casserole. Just mix it all together
                    -- after all it goes too the same place!

                    Tony P.
                  • Paul J. Wolsko
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 4, 2003
                      You're mixing up the George Foreman grill with Formby's furniture
                      refinishing products. <GGG>

                      Paul Wolsko

                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 4, 2003
                        By gum, you're right. No wonder my last dinner guests left aftr just one
                        bite.

                        Actually, how I EVER confused George Foreman the fighter with George
                        Formby the British ukelele player is beyond me. :-)

                        plinka-plinka-plinka

                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 4, 2003
                          Hehe.

                          http://www.georgeformby.co.uk/

                          Paul W.

                          > By gum, you're right. No wonder my last dinner guests left aftr just one
                          > bite.
                          >
                          > Actually, how I EVER confused George Foreman the fighter with George
                          > Formby the British ukelele player is beyond me. :-)
                          >
                          > plinka-plinka-plinka

                          > On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Paul J. Wolsko wrote:
                          >
                          > > You're mixing up the George Foreman grill with Formby's furniture
                          > > refinishing products. <GGG>
                          > >
                          > > Paul Wolsko
                          > >

                          > > > What I do is buy the sliced portabellos and do them on my George
                          Formby
                          > > > grill with a bit of honey mustard and garlic powder.

                        • Caye Caswick
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 4, 2003
                            Does the Fuller Brush man make a brush for cleaning up that mess?!?!

                            ;--D

                            You boys sure crack me up! Thanks.

                            Caye

                            PS -- sounds delish! I'll try it.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 4, 2003
                              No, but then there's the Kirby vacuum - does EVERYTHING.

                              Paul