"Be careful out there" Not a haox

  • Steve Botnovcan
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2003
      I used to watch that TV cop show where the sergeant told the oncoming
      shift, "be careful out there." It is good advice. Read the following
      from the bottom and you'll see how the hackers and scammers can get you
      if you aren't on your toes:

      Subject: Re: [Fwd: your account wzaarahw]
      Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 18:51:08 -0400
      From: Jason <jcrincoli@...>
      To: Steve Botnovcan <botnovcan@...>
      Steve,
      Please be advised that the message below is not being sent by us. We
      are aware of the problem and investigating the solution. We never send
      an email with an attachment as that would be the easiest way to transmit
      a virus around. Please do not download the attachment. If you would
      like to confirm that this message in response is real, or have any other
      questions that I may be able to help you with you can reach me at the
      office (908) 218-0492

      Jason
      BlastNet Internet Services

      Steve Botnovcan wrote:

      Hi Guys,

      Please confirm this message is from you, and if you have information
      about my account, please send it to me in plain text. This attachment
      seems to contain executable code, so I won't open it.

      Steve

      Subject: your account wzaarahw
      From: admin@...
      Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 19:42:40 -0400 (EDT)
      To: Botnovcan <botnovcan@...>

      Hello there,

      I would like to inform you about important information regarding your
      email address. This email address will be expiring.
      Please read attachment for details.

      ---
      Best regards, Administrator
      wzawrahr

      Name: message.zip
      Type: Zip Compressed Data (application/x-zip-compressed)
      Encoding: base64
    • Ron Matviyak
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 2003
        Yes Steve,

        We received a warning about this malicious virus message from our
        administrator at work. It must be a nasty one, as they asked us to
        disconnect any infected computer from the network and call them. The
        warning was given even with a full set of filters and checks in place
        for ALL incoming messages!

        Ron