Re: [Slovak-World] Zvala Greek Catholic records

  • Jan Lan
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
      At 10:10 AM 8/1/2003 -0400, you wrote:
      >It is interesting that only Roman Catholic records are mentioned for
      >Zvala.

      The Jewish records for Zvala are with Humenne records but my reference does
      not show any reference to Greek Catholic records. The RC records are with
      Snina as Vlad said. This is the map of the area I believe but after the
      move. http://www.lemko.org/maps100/Pages/Pg113.html

      Janko

      > I believe that Zvala was primarily a Greek Catholic Rusyn village. I
      > would love to find the Greek Catholic records from Zvala.

      I would think so. Rich Custer is very familiar with Rusyn villages of that
      area of Slovakia. He may be able to help you. Also, have you tried the
      Rusyns list? http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rusyns/

      It wouldn't hurt to look at RC records. If there was an RC church in the
      area there may have been intermarriages.

      Janko
    • Bill Tarkulich
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
        Looks like an indexing error.

        In 1910, village name was ZELLO, aka, ZUELLA. population 441, 8 Magyar,
        9 Germans, 424 Ruthenes; 433 Greek Catholic, 5 Jew.
        As far as I can see, this is solid Rusyn/GK territory.

        I'd pull the Snina records and see what's there. If the archives
        created the index, clearly they have the records. Perhaps the Zvala GK
        records were inadvertently commingled with the Snina RK records.
        Archivists are usually pretty good, but occasionally one slips thru. It
        will only cost $3.50 to find out...

        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

        >It is interesting that only Roman Catholic records are mentioned for
        >Zvala.

        The Jewish records for Zvala are with Humenne records but my reference
        does
        not show any reference to Greek Catholic records. The RC records are
        with
        Snina as Vlad said. This is the map of the area I believe but after the

        move. http://www.lemko.org/maps100/Pages/Pg113.html

        Janko

        > I believe that Zvala was primarily a Greek Catholic Rusyn village. I
        > would love to find the Greek Catholic records from Zvala.

        I would think so. Rich Custer is very familiar with Rusyn villages of
        that
        area of Slovakia. He may be able to help you. Also, have you tried the

        It wouldn't hurt to look at RC records. If there was an RC church in
        the
        area there may have been intermarriages.

        Janko

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/