Mid-Michigan Czech-Slovak festival

  • Scott T. Mikusko
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
      For any of you Michigan people on this list, the small hamlet of Bannister
      hosts an annual Czech/Slovak Farm Festival every first Sunday in August.

      Pity, I'm in California. :( I get home next weekend. I knew I should have
      shifted my vacation plans.

      It's a pretty small event, but there is usually good food, some folk
      dancing/music, and mass at St Cyril's Catholic Church (heritage mass).

      I don't know any details since it's so small, you don't find much Internet
      info on it. Bannister is near Elsie, MI... ie. the stix :)

      From the one of the local news websites:

      COME TO MAIN STREET IN BANNISTER, MI. ON SUNDAY, AUGUST 3RD FOR A
      FESTIVAL OF ETHNIC FOOD, MUSIC AND DANCING. DINNERS IS SERVED FROM
      11:30AM UNTIL 2PM ($7 ADULTS, $3 CHILDREN UNDER 12, PRESCHOOLERS ARE
      FREE). pROGRAM BEGINS AT 2:30PM (CZECH AND SLOVAK FOLK DANCING AND MUSIC,
      FREE DOOR PRIZES) FREE CHILDREN'S GAMES. DANCE AT 4PM TO THE SOUNDS OF
      CZECHOSLOVAKIA BAND.

      -S
    • Jan Lan
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
        At 10:10 AM 8/1/2003 -0400, you wrote:
        >It is interesting that only Roman Catholic records are mentioned for
        >Zvala.

        The Jewish records for Zvala are with Humenne records but my reference does
        not show any reference to Greek Catholic records. The RC records are with
        Snina as Vlad said. This is the map of the area I believe but after the
        move. http://www.lemko.org/maps100/Pages/Pg113.html

        Janko

        > I believe that Zvala was primarily a Greek Catholic Rusyn village. I
        > would love to find the Greek Catholic records from Zvala.

        I would think so. Rich Custer is very familiar with Rusyn villages of that
        area of Slovakia. He may be able to help you. Also, have you tried the
        Rusyns list? http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rusyns/

        It wouldn't hurt to look at RC records. If there was an RC church in the
        area there may have been intermarriages.

        Janko
      • Bill Tarkulich
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
          Looks like an indexing error.

          In 1910, village name was ZELLO, aka, ZUELLA. population 441, 8 Magyar,
          9 Germans, 424 Ruthenes; 433 Greek Catholic, 5 Jew.
          As far as I can see, this is solid Rusyn/GK territory.

          I'd pull the Snina records and see what's there. If the archives
          created the index, clearly they have the records. Perhaps the Zvala GK
          records were inadvertently commingled with the Snina RK records.
          Archivists are usually pretty good, but occasionally one slips thru. It
          will only cost $3.50 to find out...

          ______________
          Bill Tarkulich

          >It is interesting that only Roman Catholic records are mentioned for
          >Zvala.

          The Jewish records for Zvala are with Humenne records but my reference
          does
          not show any reference to Greek Catholic records. The RC records are
          with
          Snina as Vlad said. This is the map of the area I believe but after the

          move. http://www.lemko.org/maps100/Pages/Pg113.html

          Janko

          > I believe that Zvala was primarily a Greek Catholic Rusyn village. I
          > would love to find the Greek Catholic records from Zvala.

          I would think so. Rich Custer is very familiar with Rusyn villages of
          that
          area of Slovakia. He may be able to help you. Also, have you tried the

          It wouldn't hurt to look at RC records. If there was an RC church in
          the
          area there may have been intermarriages.

          Janko

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/