Zvala Greek Catholic records

  • Ron Milliken
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
      It is interesting that only Roman Catholic records are mentioned for
      Zvala. I believe that Zvala was primarily a Greek Catholic Rusyn
      village. I would love to find the Greek Catholic records from Zvala.
      Does anyone else on this forum have ancestry from Zvala? Were they
      Roman Catholic or Greek Catholic?

      Ron

      Vladimir Bohinc wrote:

      > Stakcin; Snina Rc, Stakcin Gc
      > Smolnik; Snina Rc
      > Dara; Snina Rc, Starina Gc
      > Ulic; Snina Gc, Ulic Gc
      > Starina: Snina Rc, Starina Gc
      > Zvala; Snina Rc
      > Ostruznica; Snina Rc
      > Ruske; Ruske Gc, Snina Rc
      > V.Polana; Snina Rc
      >
      > All these records are in the archive in Presov
      > Vladimir

    • raybravo2000
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
        Maybe you should also try posting this message on the Rusyns
        Group:

        Colin

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Ron Milliken

        Service

      • Scott T. Mikusko
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
          For any of you Michigan people on this list, the small hamlet of Bannister
          hosts an annual Czech/Slovak Farm Festival every first Sunday in August.

          Pity, I'm in California. :( I get home next weekend. I knew I should have
          shifted my vacation plans.

          It's a pretty small event, but there is usually good food, some folk
          dancing/music, and mass at St Cyril's Catholic Church (heritage mass).

          I don't know any details since it's so small, you don't find much Internet
          info on it. Bannister is near Elsie, MI... ie. the stix :)

          From the one of the local news websites:

          COME TO MAIN STREET IN BANNISTER, MI. ON SUNDAY, AUGUST 3RD FOR A
          FESTIVAL OF ETHNIC FOOD, MUSIC AND DANCING. DINNERS IS SERVED FROM
          11:30AM UNTIL 2PM ($7 ADULTS, $3 CHILDREN UNDER 12, PRESCHOOLERS ARE
          FREE). pROGRAM BEGINS AT 2:30PM (CZECH AND SLOVAK FOLK DANCING AND MUSIC,
          FREE DOOR PRIZES) FREE CHILDREN'S GAMES. DANCE AT 4PM TO THE SOUNDS OF
          CZECHOSLOVAKIA BAND.

          -S
        • Jan Lan
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
            At 10:10 AM 8/1/2003 -0400, you wrote:
            >It is interesting that only Roman Catholic records are mentioned for
            >Zvala.

            The Jewish records for Zvala are with Humenne records but my reference does
            not show any reference to Greek Catholic records. The RC records are with
            Snina as Vlad said. This is the map of the area I believe but after the
            move. http://www.lemko.org/maps100/Pages/Pg113.html

            Janko

            > I believe that Zvala was primarily a Greek Catholic Rusyn village. I
            > would love to find the Greek Catholic records from Zvala.

            I would think so. Rich Custer is very familiar with Rusyn villages of that
            area of Slovakia. He may be able to help you. Also, have you tried the
            Rusyns list? http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rusyns/

            It wouldn't hurt to look at RC records. If there was an RC church in the
            area there may have been intermarriages.

            Janko
          • Bill Tarkulich
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
              Looks like an indexing error.

              In 1910, village name was ZELLO, aka, ZUELLA. population 441, 8 Magyar,
              9 Germans, 424 Ruthenes; 433 Greek Catholic, 5 Jew.
              As far as I can see, this is solid Rusyn/GK territory.

              I'd pull the Snina records and see what's there. If the archives
              created the index, clearly they have the records. Perhaps the Zvala GK
              records were inadvertently commingled with the Snina RK records.
              Archivists are usually pretty good, but occasionally one slips thru. It
              will only cost $3.50 to find out...

              ______________
              Bill Tarkulich

              >It is interesting that only Roman Catholic records are mentioned for
              >Zvala.

              The Jewish records for Zvala are with Humenne records but my reference
              does
              not show any reference to Greek Catholic records. The RC records are
              with
              Snina as Vlad said. This is the map of the area I believe but after the

              move. http://www.lemko.org/maps100/Pages/Pg113.html

              Janko

              > I believe that Zvala was primarily a Greek Catholic Rusyn village. I
              > would love to find the Greek Catholic records from Zvala.

              I would think so. Rich Custer is very familiar with Rusyn villages of
              that
              area of Slovakia. He may be able to help you. Also, have you tried the

              It wouldn't hurt to look at RC records. If there was an RC church in
              the
              area there may have been intermarriages.

              Janko

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/