Re: [Slovak-World] Somebody called me?

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 26, 2003
      Stakcin; Snina Rc, Stakcin Gc
      Smolnik; Snina Rc
      Dara; Snina Rc, Starina Gc
      Ulic; Snina Gc, Ulic Gc
      Starina: Snina Rc, Starina Gc
      Zvala; Snina Rc
      Ostruznica; Snina Rc
      Ruske; Ruske Gc, Snina Rc
      V.Polana; Snina Rc

      All these records are in the archive in Presov
      Vladimir

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
        It is interesting that only Roman Catholic records are mentioned for
        Zvala. I believe that Zvala was primarily a Greek Catholic Rusyn
        village. I would love to find the Greek Catholic records from Zvala.
        Does anyone else on this forum have ancestry from Zvala? Were they
        Roman Catholic or Greek Catholic?

        Ron

        Vladimir Bohinc wrote:

        > Stakcin; Snina Rc, Stakcin Gc
        > Smolnik; Snina Rc
        > Dara; Snina Rc, Starina Gc
        > Ulic; Snina Gc, Ulic Gc
        > Starina: Snina Rc, Starina Gc
        > Zvala; Snina Rc
        > Ostruznica; Snina Rc
        > Ruske; Ruske Gc, Snina Rc
        > V.Polana; Snina Rc
        >
        > All these records are in the archive in Presov
        > Vladimir

      • raybravo2000
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
          Maybe you should also try posting this message on the Rusyns
          Group:

          Colin

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Ron Milliken

          Service

        • Scott T. Mikusko
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
            For any of you Michigan people on this list, the small hamlet of Bannister
            hosts an annual Czech/Slovak Farm Festival every first Sunday in August.

            Pity, I'm in California. :( I get home next weekend. I knew I should have
            shifted my vacation plans.

            It's a pretty small event, but there is usually good food, some folk
            dancing/music, and mass at St Cyril's Catholic Church (heritage mass).

            I don't know any details since it's so small, you don't find much Internet
            info on it. Bannister is near Elsie, MI... ie. the stix :)

            From the one of the local news websites:

            COME TO MAIN STREET IN BANNISTER, MI. ON SUNDAY, AUGUST 3RD FOR A
            FESTIVAL OF ETHNIC FOOD, MUSIC AND DANCING. DINNERS IS SERVED FROM
            11:30AM UNTIL 2PM ($7 ADULTS, $3 CHILDREN UNDER 12, PRESCHOOLERS ARE
            FREE). pROGRAM BEGINS AT 2:30PM (CZECH AND SLOVAK FOLK DANCING AND MUSIC,
            FREE DOOR PRIZES) FREE CHILDREN'S GAMES. DANCE AT 4PM TO THE SOUNDS OF
            CZECHOSLOVAKIA BAND.

            -S
          • Jan Lan
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
              At 10:10 AM 8/1/2003 -0400, you wrote:
              >It is interesting that only Roman Catholic records are mentioned for
              >Zvala.

              The Jewish records for Zvala are with Humenne records but my reference does
              not show any reference to Greek Catholic records. The RC records are with
              Snina as Vlad said. This is the map of the area I believe but after the
              move. http://www.lemko.org/maps100/Pages/Pg113.html

              Janko

              > I believe that Zvala was primarily a Greek Catholic Rusyn village. I
              > would love to find the Greek Catholic records from Zvala.

              I would think so. Rich Custer is very familiar with Rusyn villages of that
              area of Slovakia. He may be able to help you. Also, have you tried the
              Rusyns list? http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rusyns/

              It wouldn't hurt to look at RC records. If there was an RC church in the
              area there may have been intermarriages.

              Janko
            • Bill Tarkulich
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
                Looks like an indexing error.

                In 1910, village name was ZELLO, aka, ZUELLA. population 441, 8 Magyar,
                9 Germans, 424 Ruthenes; 433 Greek Catholic, 5 Jew.
                As far as I can see, this is solid Rusyn/GK territory.

                I'd pull the Snina records and see what's there. If the archives
                created the index, clearly they have the records. Perhaps the Zvala GK
                records were inadvertently commingled with the Snina RK records.
                Archivists are usually pretty good, but occasionally one slips thru. It
                will only cost $3.50 to find out...

                ______________
                Bill Tarkulich

                >It is interesting that only Roman Catholic records are mentioned for
                >Zvala.

                The Jewish records for Zvala are with Humenne records but my reference
                does
                not show any reference to Greek Catholic records. The RC records are
                with
                Snina as Vlad said. This is the map of the area I believe but after the

                move. http://www.lemko.org/maps100/Pages/Pg113.html

                Janko

                > I believe that Zvala was primarily a Greek Catholic Rusyn village. I
                > would love to find the Greek Catholic records from Zvala.

                I would think so. Rich Custer is very familiar with Rusyn villages of
                that
                area of Slovakia. He may be able to help you. Also, have you tried the

                It wouldn't hurt to look at RC records. If there was an RC church in
                the
                area there may have been intermarriages.

                Janko

                Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/