USA Statistics

  • Amanda
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 6 1:16 AM
      Hello

      I haven't posted any messages for a while, and I just love statistics. So
      when I read this comment:

      >It is the embodiment of the Christian faith of brotherhood, of justice, of
      equality, of freedom from tyranny. It is the Promised Land,
      >not Israel. And however badly we fail to meet these ideals, no matter how
      greedy or how foul the culture corrupts, it is still an ideal worth dying
      for.

      I went looking for some statistics. I found that between 1990 and 2000, the
      variation of religious denomination figures altered by the following
      percentages:

      Christianity +5%
      Nonreligious/Secular +110%
      Judaism -10%
      Islam +109%
      Buddhism +170%
      Agnostic -16%
      Atheist - 0.4%
      Hinduism +237%
      Unitarian Universalist +25%
      Wiccan/Pagan/Druid + 0.1%
      Native American Religion +119%
      Baha'i +200%
      New Age +240%
      Sikhism +338%
      Scientology +22%
      Humanist +69%
      Deity (Deist) +717%
      Taoist +74%
      Eckankar +44%

      Now I must confess that I've never heard of some of these religions,
      certainly not in Australia, but from the looks of it, the Deist, Sikhs, New
      AGe, Bahai and Hindus are gaining a lot of ground.

      As one of our local newspaper columnists says "That's my opinion what do you
      think?" The only problem is that I don't have an opinion on this subject.

      Just threw in some statistics instead of opinion to spice things up!

      Take care

      Amanda Lovitt
      Boulder Western Australia
    • Nick Holcz
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 6 2:10 AM
        At 04:16 PM 6/07/2003 +0800, you wrote:
        >Hello
        >
        >I haven't posted any messages for a while, and I just love statistics. So
        >when I read this comment:

        Hello Amanda long time since we heard from you.
        I guess I don't really dig statistics so I have a query shouldn't all those
        numbers add up to zero
        Regards
        Nick

      • Jan Lan
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 6 8:53 AM
          At 04:16 PM 7/6/2003 +0800, you wrote:
          >Hello
          >
          >I haven't posted any messages for a while, and I just love statistics. So
          >when I read this comment:

          "A statistician is someone who is skilled at drawing a precise line from an
          unwarranted assumption to a foregone conclusion."

          Yep in 1990 there was only one Baha'ist. Through a decade of evangelistic
          fervor two other persons were converted. That's a whoppimg 200% increase,
          which clearly endangers our Christian and Right way of life.

          Janko

          >I went looking for some statistics. I found that between 1990 and 2000, the
          >variation of religious denomination figures altered by the following
          >percentages:
          >
          >Christianity +5%
          >Nonreligious/Secular +110%
          >Judaism -10%
          >Islam +109%
          >Buddhism +170%
          >Agnostic -16%
          >Atheist - 0.4%
          >Hinduism +237%
          >Unitarian Universalist +25%
          >Wiccan/Pagan/Druid + 0.1%
          >Native American Religion +119%
          >Baha'i +200%
          >New Age +240%
          >Sikhism +338%
          >Scientology +22%
          >Humanist +69%
          >Deity (Deist) +717%
          >Taoist +74%
          >Eckankar +44%
          >
          >Now I must confess that I've never heard of some of these religions,
          >certainly not in Australia, but from the looks of it, the Deist, Sikhs, New
          >AGe, Bahai and Hindus are gaining a lot of ground.
          >
          >As one of our local newspaper columnists says "That's my opinion what do you
          >think?" The only problem is that I don't have an opinion on this subject.
          >
          >Just threw in some statistics instead of opinion to spice things up!
          >

          >Take care
          >

          >Amanda Lovitt
          >Boulder Western Australia
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Nick Holcz
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 6 8:51 PM
            Jan Lan At 09:53 AM 6/07/2003 -0600, you wrote:
            >"A statistician is someone who is skilled at drawing a precise line from an
            >unwarranted assumption to a foregone conclusion."

            Very good, is that like " lies ,damn lies and statistics"

            I will forwarded that to my nephew who is at university studying to be a
            statistician and hope it doesn't spoil his day ho ho .
            Nick