Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak Women

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2003
      Hi Caye -

      Soroka and the whole fan damily sound like interesting people! My own
      opinion disagrees with the idea that Slovaks lived by the bible. I
      suspect that modern concept came in with literacy and Protestantism.
      Perhaps someone who knows theological history can comment. Prior to
      that, I suspect people believed (and still believe) in the teachings of
      the Church. Stained glass windows were supposed to be developed to tell
      the illiterate the holy stories. I suspect the European dependency upon
      graphical traffic signs is a direct result of that graphic church
      tradition, and not just to make life better with so many languages.

      Now for independent women. With some of the female (Slovak too)
      chauvinists I know, it is dangerous territory for a man to address! I
      do suspect communism had little to do with it, or it just carried on the
      opportunity and necessity for women to be independent. I suspect it is
      rooted in the Slovak cave man days when women worked hard at food
      gathering while we men went off to look for fermented berries to enhance
      the hunting stories we told each other. Every week or two we would
      bring back some meat to brag about and keep the women somewhat happy.

      This was followed in Slovakia by the necessity for many men to travel
      for seasonal work, leaving the woman home to run things and keep the
      hearth warm. Now all of these wandering men and homebound women make me
      wonder just how good genealogical research is without a solid set of
      travel documentation... so the women had plenty of incentive to be
      independent throughout most of history. Then came the immigrations and
      the men who came to America and years later brought the wife and kids.

      It makes me wonder how often in history this idealized idea of a stable
      household, extended family and beneficial village really existed. Yes,
      I do believe they did - sometimes, but perhaps not as often as we like
      to think.

      Ron
      ducking for cover!