Re: [Slovak-World] FW: Library of Congress Question- Civil war vets, anyone?

  • Claudia Medvik
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2003
      Hmmm...Here's an interesting digression...

      My great grandfather ended up in the union army soon after coming to this country from Hesse, Germany. He road with Sherman during his "march to the sea", though didn't see any fighting. His pay records state he was always 'being sent for horses', so I assume that meant he was a good horseman and judge of horse flesh. But whether he just relayed a string of mounts or did the actual 'appropriating' or 'liberating' animals from the Southern farms the army passed, his lack of English would not have been a problem.

      Harry Truman's ancestors recorded this 'living off the land' method of the Union army as taking absolutely everything they had and then burning the barn! His grandmother ordered him off the farm when he came home in the Union blue of a reservist before WWI!

      But the war was such an important matter to my great grandfather that he spent his last days among other Civil War vets rather than his family.

      Anyone else have Civil War ties? I know allot of immigrants in New York City were recruited right off the boats!
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2003
        Claudia,

        My wife's family had three brothers from southern Indiana who
        enlisted with a Indiana Vol. Unit from Indianapolis. Two survived
        the war. ...and my daughter married into the Lee family of Virginia.
        All were at Gettysburg, just on different sides of the fence.
        jimmy

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Claudia Medvik" <CMedvik@m...>
        wrote:
        > Hmmm...Here's an interesting digression...
        >
        > My great grandfather ended up in the union army soon after coming
        to this country from Hesse, Germany. He road with Sherman during
        his "march to the sea", though didn't see any fighting. His pay
        records state he was always 'being sent for horses', so I assume that
        meant he was a good horseman and judge of horse flesh. But whether he
        just relayed a string of mounts or did the actual 'appropriating'
        or 'liberating' animals from the Southern farms the army passed, his
        lack of English would not have been a problem.

        > Harry Truman's ancestors recorded this 'living off the land' method
        of the Union army as taking absolutely everything they had and then
        burning the barn! His grandmother ordered him off the farm when he
        came home in the Union blue of a reservist before WWI!

        > But the war was such an important matter to my great grandfather
        that he spent his last days among other Civil War vets rather than
        his family.

        > Anyone else have Civil War ties? I know allot of immigrants in New
        York City were recruited right off the boats!

        Service.