Re: [Slovak-World] Visiting your relatives in Slovakia

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 83 , Jul 1, 2003
      Vladimir,

      Very interesting comments and perspective. Thanks. On dollars as tips,
      it is not just Americans, but also Germans who spread them around. They
      are the smallest western paper currency that can be exchanged by locals
      at a bank. American or German coins are not good for exchange. Of
      course, local currency is best. It made me very happy when some Czech
      friends asked for payment in Crowns and not dollars - it showed a happy
      confidence in their currency.

      What is you experience with dirty dollars? Long ago I learned that cash
      dollars should be fresh, crisp, and unmarked and unstamped on both
      sides. That makes them much easier to take to the bank in foreign
      countries. Once I exchanged a 1950's wrinkled $100 bill for a fresh one
      in the east, then spent the old one in the west. I saved the landlady
      15% in surcharges demanded of wrinkled bills!

      You say "> If there is anybody in the family, that "speaks" english,
      talk slowly, in 'special english" and do not use complicated words and
      sentences. This will avoid misunderstandings."

      To add to that, I say keep the vocabulary simple and consistent. Use
      one word for automobile, auto or car or truck but don't mix them all.
      Some of us at least expect different words to mean different things, and
      when you are struggling to understand a language, simplicity helps. I
      hesitate to say this, but it helps sometimes to speak English with a
      local accent, imitating the way they might speak English. Try this
      cautiously!

      The family found it amusing to see what I enjoy as souvenirs - an old
      cad astral sign (abandoned next to it's replacement and too tempting for
      an engineer to pass by), a set of local cooking spices, and a simple
      bottle opener advertising the local mineral springs.

      Now to work on the language.

      Ron
    • genie h lalonde
      Message 83 of 83 , Jul 7, 2003
        aChancellor Herman B Wells did that at Indiana University in Bloomington,
        Indiana in the 1960's If my memory serves me.