re: Visiting your relatives in Slovakia

  • cnovotni@fuse.net
    Message 1 of 83 , Jul 1, 2003
      The first time I sayed with my cousins in SK, I left money under a scarf on top of the refrigerator. I told a young English speaking cousin what I had put there. I also told him not to tell his grandmother until the plane had taken off in Kosice. I left a note with it saying how grateful I was to her and to all the family for their kindness to me... to buy something for herself and for the grandchildren. which I found out later she had done. During that first visit I made sure that I could at least say the greetings and expressions of gratitude for what was done for me. They helped me with pronunciation and added to my vocabulary.
      At the second visit, I gave even more than the last visit and gave it directly to the cousin who was my host. There were many tears and hugs from both of us.
      After the 2001 visit I wanted to do even more for her and another cousin. We had grown very close. So I suggested in a letter that they come to visit me and that I would pay for their airfare and visas. They accepted. Wonderful and exciting emails and letters passed between us for several months, and last fall these two dear cousins came and spent a month with me. My family and friends welcomed them with open arms and hearts. Family and friends on both sides of the ocean have wonderful memories to recall.
      I really need to record those memories. Thanks Vladimir B. for reminding me to record those days of their visit - even though you didn't know the effect your email would have on me :)
    • genie h lalonde
      Message 83 of 83 , Jul 7, 2003
        aChancellor Herman B Wells did that at Indiana University in Bloomington,
        Indiana in the 1960's If my memory serves me.