Re: [Slovak-World] Visiting your relatives in Slovakia

  • Nick Holcz
    Message 1 of 83 , Jul 1, 2003
      We don't know how lucky we are do we? A lot of us have freedom but don't
      value it. My late father said he could have said he was communist and been
      OK until someone more powerful wanted his position,but that is not what he
      wanted for me. That is why we came to Australia.

      I too have been embarrassed by behaviour in this country, racism and
      bigotry are unfortunately alive and well.

      I am happy my relatives in Europe now have freedom and hope that their
      ability to make money improves as well.
      I started off this email to say you can complain about having no shoes but
      then you see someone with no feet so we should value what we have in life.

      Regards
      Nick

      At 09:37 AM 1/07/2003 -0400, you wrote:
      >Throughout these years I have been very embarrassed by the actions of some
      >Americans, especially tourists, who thought that because they had dollars,
      >people should, as you say "kiss their feet".
      >
      >"Look, those *&^%# stupid _ _ _ _ _ s don't even speak English" . This
      >even though they spoke only English themselves.
      >
      >I am appreciative that our Slovak people are learning English and am
      >amazed at the progress toward modernization. since the fall od communism.
      >
      >When I first traveled to Slovakia, I felt so very sad that they had no
      >appliances in the homes and things like "soft" toilet paper, facial tissue
      >etc. Then I realized how trivial these thoughts were and that the thing
      >they lacked the most was personal freedom and I realized that the "things"
      >they never had, they didn't miss.
    • genie h lalonde
      Message 83 of 83 , Jul 7, 2003
        aChancellor Herman B Wells did that at Indiana University in Bloomington,
        Indiana in the 1960's If my memory serves me.