Re: [Slovak-World] electronic translators

  • J. Michutka
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
      If you want to go non-electronic, I was quite happy with these:

      Hippocrene Compact Dictionary--Slovak-Engl/Engl-Slovak ISBN
      0-7818-0501-5 $8.95 very small (3x4.5 inches), 7500 entries I used this
      a lot on my second trip, after having learned some of the language

      Slovak-Eng/Engl-Slovak Dictionary and Phrasebook by Sylvia and John M.
      Lorinc ISBN 0-7818-0663-1 $13.95 about the size of a checkbook but
      slightly thicker I took this one both trips; didn't use it a lot, but it
      came in handy a few times, I'd find the phrase I wanted and point to it
      rather than trying to pronounce an unfamiliar language (first trip)

      small notepad and pencil

      No dictionary or phrasebook or electronic translator will get you through a
      real conversation without your knowing something of the grammar of the
      language, especially a language like Slovak which is so different from
      English and is highly inflected (various endings for verbs, nouns, and
      adjectives). I could go on and on about this, but that's it in a nutshell.

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...
    • Gregory J Kopchak
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
        Julie:

        You made two good choices.

        I keep a the Trnka Concise dictionary on my desk and the
        Lorinc Phrase book has been a best seller for us.

        Two other new books that have been well received are
        the Slovak Handy Extras book which is kind of like an
        expanded version of the Lorinc book and Slovak for
        Beginners which is an inexpensive introduction to the
        Slovak language that sells for less than $15.00.

        Greg Kopchak
        It's All Relative

[...]

      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
          Can't help it... :-). Trnka must be goo because the best slivovica is made from
          trnki. :-).

          Vilo