Re: Visiting your relatives in Slovakia

  • janeg23832
    Message 1 of 83 , Jul 1 3:56 AM
      Vladimir,

      I am glad that you took the time to post your observations. These are
      all questions that I have had in the back of my mind and that I had
      concerns about. Like you said, I am going there to meet and get to
      know them, not come across like "Daddy Warbucks". BTW the dinner
      planning is already in the works.

      Thanks again.

      jimmy

      -World@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@n...> wrote:
      > Dear Freinds,
      > I just can't help myself, I must say a couple of words in this
      regard.
      > Please, remember, that you are earning at least TEN times as much
      as the people you are visitng.
      > I know, it is a wonderful feeling to be like a millionaire in a
      poor country.Generally, in world tourism, there is a segment of
      people, who visit poor countries just to experience this feeling once
      in their life time.
      > But, you are supposed to visit your family, that is supposed to be
      your friends.
      > You will make no good friends, if you will;
      > - show off with all the gadgets of this world, that money can buy
      and everything that you have ( probably not really own) back home.
      > - talk to them via a laptop
      > - believe, that they will kiss your feet for one dollar note.(
      Americans are already well known here for giving away one dollar
      notes :-)
      > People know of all this and will not love or admire you more for
      that. It is really not neccessary the embrio of a good family
      relationship to be disturbed by plain envy, that is very common here.
      > All this can come later, when the relationship matures.
      > If you really are interested in a geunine human relation, then
      approach them with modesty and wisdom.
      > You are on their territory, so do not try to be bigger or wealthier
      or stronger than they are. Try to be equal. Do not be affraid of the
      langage. Learn some basic phrases and then, while with them, listen
      and learn as a child, with a good dosis of humor. Let them enjoy the
      feeling, that at least in language, you are helpless for a while.
      > You can keep your notes about the words and phrases, but it will
      take some time, till you will begin to understand the language
      really. Especially slovak grammar is very difficult to understand.
      > Your relatives will probably make great sacrifices for you, in
      money and time. There were cases, when people took a loan to finance
      the visit.
      > Try not to overstretch this and think about how you could do
      something for them in return, that has as much value for you, as it
      had for them.
      > Observe their habits and try to follow.( like shoes off, when you
      enter the flat etc.)
      > They will be asking you about your wealth. Hesitate to reveal
      everything. Be modest.Actually, your wealth should make you about as
      happy as their, although limited, wealth is making them satisfied as
      they are.
      > Also remember ; ( I was asked this question once, while I was
      touring some Americans " Vladimir, do those people really own all
      this - houses etc?")
      > Yes, they do. In the past, there were no loans like in the US, so
      people had to save and build their houses with their own hands. Only
      recently, loans are being used for cars and houses, but very limited.

      > If there is anybody in the family, that "speaks" english, talk
      slowly, in 'special english" and do not use complicated words and
      sentences.This will avoid misunderstandings. Often, the listener is
      affraid to admit, that he did not quite understand, and skips the
      word or takes it wrong. Make sure, you are well understood.
      > A day or two before you leave, throw a dinner for all in a place
      they will choose. It will not cost you much, but will remain in good
      memory of all.At this dinner, you could give a special present to the
      Lady of the household ( she is the head of the family anyway), where
      you were as a visitor.You must stand up, have a short speech, where
      you express your thanks for the hospitality (have someone to
      translate), add whatever is on your mind and then have a toast with
      all.(sorry, not sure about the word, but have a glass of good slovak
      wine with everyone)
      > Presents for the kids and general presents are given at arrival.
      > There is much more to say, but that would be too long.Surprises and
      lessons learned should be the thrill of the journey.
      > You just can not be prepared for everything.
      > With best wishes,
      > Vladimir

    • genie h lalonde
      Message 83 of 83 , Jul 7 6:28 AM
        aChancellor Herman B Wells did that at Indiana University in Bloomington,
        Indiana in the 1960's If my memory serves me.