Re: [Slovak-World] electronic translators

  • Jerome Omasta
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 30, 2003
      Jim,
      Yes, this seems to be an even better one than what I have. Specs for
      Slovak are a 56,000 word vocabulary and 1,700 phrases. This should help you
      quite a bit. Now all you need to do is pronounce the words correctly
      :-). Are you taking a laptop computer along ? Anyway, I think I would buy
      this translator. Just remember that most of these will only do a word or
      simple phrase at a time. Take the instruction manual with you. Keep it
      simple and people will understand you.
      Jerry

      At 09:17 AM 6/30/2003 -0700, you wrote:
      >Thanks for your reply Jerry,
      >
      > what do you think of the transulator located at the link I have
      > inclosed, seems much more able than the one you used. and it claims to
      > translate into slovak.
      >http://www.lingodirect.com/languages/slovakian.htm
      >

      >Jim

    • J. Michutka
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
        If you want to go non-electronic, I was quite happy with these:

        Hippocrene Compact Dictionary--Slovak-Engl/Engl-Slovak ISBN
        0-7818-0501-5 $8.95 very small (3x4.5 inches), 7500 entries I used this
        a lot on my second trip, after having learned some of the language

        Slovak-Eng/Engl-Slovak Dictionary and Phrasebook by Sylvia and John M.
        Lorinc ISBN 0-7818-0663-1 $13.95 about the size of a checkbook but
        slightly thicker I took this one both trips; didn't use it a lot, but it
        came in handy a few times, I'd find the phrase I wanted and point to it
        rather than trying to pronounce an unfamiliar language (first trip)

        small notepad and pencil

        No dictionary or phrasebook or electronic translator will get you through a
        real conversation without your knowing something of the grammar of the
        language, especially a language like Slovak which is so different from
        English and is highly inflected (various endings for verbs, nouns, and
        adjectives). I could go on and on about this, but that's it in a nutshell.

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@...
      • Gregory J Kopchak
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
          Julie:

          You made two good choices.

          I keep a the Trnka Concise dictionary on my desk and the
          Lorinc Phrase book has been a best seller for us.

          Two other new books that have been well received are
          the Slovak Handy Extras book which is kind of like an
          expanded version of the Lorinc book and Slovak for
          Beginners which is an inexpensive introduction to the
          Slovak language that sells for less than $15.00.

          Greg Kopchak
          It's All Relative

[...]

        • William C. Wormuth
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
            Can't help it... :-). Trnka must be goo because the best slivovica is made from
            trnki. :-).

            Vilo