Re: [Slovak-World] OT/Chicago

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 29, 2003
      Hi Bernadine -- well, not "exactly" near -- that would be on the near-north side of Chicago -- and I'm on the South side -- actually in the very first Suburb to the south of Chicago -- so far, have not heard of anyone involved in that tragedy that I personally know -- but once I show up to work, that might change -- I'll keep you advised. It was not the first porch collapse, but it was certainly the worse so far.

      God speed to those healing from that unfortunate event.

      Caye

      Bernardine Weigand <bweigand@...> wrote:
      I just read about the tragedy in Chicago, involving a collapsed balcony/top floor of a building. Caye, do you live near this area?

      Bernardine

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • Bernardine Weigand
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 29, 2003
        I have never been to Chicago for a real visit, so am not familiar with the area. O'Hare airport has been my only stop when changing planes a couple times.

        Just heard on the news tonight that a young man from Hoboken, NJ, was among those killed. Perhaps once a year, usually in the summer there is a deck collapse in our area. It's always because of "overload" coupled with deteriorating or insufficient stuctural supports.

        B.

        Caye Caswick wrote:

        > Hi Bernadine -- well, not "exactly" near -- that would be on the near-north side
        > of Chicago -- and I'm on the South side -- actually in the very first Suburb to
        > the south of Chicago -- so far, have not heard of anyone involved in that tragedy
        > that I personally know -- but once I show up to work, that might change -- I'll
        > keep you advised. It was not the first porch collapse, but it was certainly the
        > worse so far.
        >
        > God speed to those healing from that unfortunate event.
        >
        > Caye
        >

        > Bernardine Weigand <bweigand@...> wrote:
        > I just read about the tragedy in Chicago, involving a collapsed balcony/top floor
        > of a building. Caye, do you live near this area?
        >
        > Bernardine
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • David
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 30, 2003
          Not to pitch fork the dead, but it is a lack of knowledge or stupidity on
          some peoples part. Just looking at the pictures you can see this is an old
          frame building with about three stories. These decks are made for a family
          (a couple of people) not for partying by a larger group of people. Most of
          these decks just have 4X4 vertical supports. They are not made to support
          larger groups of people. I'm sorry about any deaths or injuries, but people
          better start learning what is safe and not safe. A perfect example is
          automobile advertisements. The auto companies brag that their vehicle could
          go at terrific high speeds on narrow, winding mountain roads. Yes, for a
          race track driver, but definitely not for the average driver. Just because
          they see it on television, doesn't make it right. We, and I use the word
          WE, must use our god given brains. At least try! Once again, I'm sorry
          about any deaths or injuries, but sorry will not change things.

          At 12:31 AM 6/30/2003 -0400, you wrote:
          >I have never been to Chicago for a real visit, so am not familiar with the
          >area. O'Hare airport has been my only stop when changing planes a couple
          >times.
          >
          >Just heard on the news tonight that a young man from Hoboken, NJ, was
          >among those killed. Perhaps once a year, usually in the summer there is a
          >deck collapse in our area. It's always because of "overload" coupled with
          >deteriorating or insufficient stuctural supports.
          >
          >B.
          >

          >Caye Caswick wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Bernadine -- well, not "exactly" near -- that would be on the
          > near-north side
          > > of Chicago -- and I'm on the South side -- actually in the very first
          > Suburb to
          > > the south of Chicago -- so far, have not heard of anyone involved in
          > that tragedy
          > > that I personally know -- but once I show up to work, that might
          > change -- I'll
          > > keep you advised. It was not the first porch collapse, but it was
          > certainly the
          > > worse so far.
          > >
          > > God speed to those healing from that unfortunate event.
          > >
          > > Caye
          > >

          > > Bernardine Weigand <bweigand@...> wrote:
          > > I just read about the tragedy in Chicago, involving a collapsed
          > balcony/top floor
          > > of a building. Caye, do you live near this area?
          > >
          > > Bernardine
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Nick Holcz
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 30, 2003
            Australian buildings suffer from the same problems firstly the balconies
            are not engineered and then they are not maintained . I too do not like
            seeing tragedies like this but a little checking by building authorities
            would avoid them.