1869 Hungarian Census

  • William F Brna
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 22, 2003
      I have been reading about the 1869 Hungarian Census. Would someone
      please tell me how to access it? Is it on the web? If not, where could
      I find it? Thanks.

      Bill Brna

      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • L*O*O*K
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 22, 2003
        bill,
        you may want to check this email
        info@...
        they may help you
        jan

        From: "William F Brna" <wfbrna@...>

        Subject: [Slovak-World] 1869 Hungarian Census

        > I have been reading about the 1869 Hungarian Census. Would someone
        > please tell me how to access it? Is it on the web? If not, where could
        > I find it? Thanks.
        >
        > Bill Brna

        > Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Jan Lan
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 22, 2003
          At 01:38 PM 6/22/2003 -0400, you wrote:
          >I have been reading about the 1869 Hungarian Census. Would someone
          >please tell me how to access it? Is it on the web? If not, where could
          >I find it? Thanks.
          >
          >Bill Brn

          Try:

          http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=topicdetails&subject=836327&subject_disp=Hungary_-_Census_-_1869&columns=*,180,0

          Pick the county (megye) you are interested in, find the town, and then note
          the LDS film you will need to order. I'm not certain but all counties may
          not have been included in the census or the microfilming of the 1869 census
          is still in process.

          Janko
        • Bill Tarkulich
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 22, 2003
            Bill Brn,
            I have written a bit about the 1869 Magyar Census here
            http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/CensusMain.htm
            Bill Tarkulich

            >I have been reading about the 1869 Hungarian Census. Would someone
            >please tell me how to access it? Is it on the web? If not, where
            >could I find it? Thanks.
            >
            >Bill Brn

            Try:

            http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp
            ?display=topicdetails&subject=836327&subject_disp=Hungary_-_Census_-_186
            9&columns=*,180,0

            Pick the county (megye) you are interested in, find the town, and then
            note
            the LDS film you will need to order. I'm not certain but all counties
            may
            not have been included in the census or the microfilming of the 1869
            census
            is still in process.

            Janko

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • janeg23832
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 22, 2003
              Bill,

              Thanks alot for the informationon the 1869 Census, now I know what to
              ask for when I go up to the LDS-FHL.

              jimmy
              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Tarkulich" <bill@i...>

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 22, 2003
                At 01:53 AM 6/23/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                >Bill,
                >
                >Thanks alot for the informationon the 1869 Census, now I know what to
                >ask for when I go up to the LDS-FHL.

                You're welcome.

                Janko

                >jimmy
                >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Tarkulich" <bill@i...>
                >wrote:
                > > Bill Brn,
                > > I have written a bit about the 1869 Magyar Census here
                > >
                > <http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/CensusMain.htm>http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/CensusMain.htm
                > > Bill Tarkulich

              • bojomo42
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 4 4:57 PM
                  I am tracing my grandparents back through Slovakia. In doing so I have
                  looked at many pages of the 1869 Hungarian Census. I started in my
                  grangparents village of origination Osuske with a lot of help from many
                  of you. Following the Danko line I am now in Dobra Voda (Joko). On
                  www.iabsi.com I managed to find a translation list that has been a
                  great help to me during my search in Osuske files but now I think the
                  Dobra Voda Census is in a different language. Does anyone know what
                  the language is and can you translate column six for me? I have
                  downloaded a scanned image of the second page of one of the
                  Danko documents from the 1869 census of Dobra Voda which can be found
                  in Photos. Can anyone help me please.
                  Thank you,
                  Bojomo
                • J Michutka
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 4 5:20 PM
                    I tried blowing it up enough to read it, but the clarity
                    degenerated....it does look like it's bilingual--Hungarian and Slovak
                    (I think), but couldn't make out words well enough to take a real
                    stab at translation or looking up words in my Hungarian word list.

                    Julie Michutka
                    jmm@...

                    On Apr 4, 2008, at 7:57 PM, bojomo42 wrote:

                    > I am tracing my grandparents back through Slovakia. In doing so I have
                    > looked at many pages of the 1869 Hungarian Census. I started in my
                    > grangparents village of origination Osuske with a lot of help from
                    > many
                    > of you. Following the Danko line I am now in Dobra Voda (Joko). On
                    > www.iabsi.com I managed to find a translation list that has been a
                    > great help to me during my search in Osuske files but now I think the
                    > Dobra Voda Census is in a different language. Does anyone know what
                    > the language is and can you translate column six for me? I have
                    > downloaded a scanned image of the second page of one of the
                    > Danko documents from the 1869 census of Dobra Voda which can be found
                    > in Photos. Can anyone help me please.
                    > Thank you,
                    > Bojomo

                  • ROBERT LISTON
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 4 5:34 PM
                      Would it be clearer if I emailed it directly to you and would that be OK?
                      Thanks,
                      Bojomo

                      J Michutka <jmm@...> wrote:
                      I tried blowing it up enough to read it, but the clarity
                      degenerated....it does look like it's bilingual--Hungarian and Slovak
                      (I think), but couldn't make out words well enough to take a real
                      stab at translation or looking up words in my Hungarian word list.

                      Julie Michutka
                      jmm@...

                      On Apr 4, 2008, at 7:57 PM, bojomo42 wrote:

                      > I am tracing my grandparents back through Slovakia. In doing so I have
                      > looked at many pages of the 1869 Hungarian Census. I started in my
                      > grangparents village of origination Osuske with a lot of help from
                      > many
                      > of you. Following the Danko line I am now in Dobra Voda (Joko). On
                      > www.iabsi.com I managed to find a translation list that has been a
                      > great help to me during my search in Osuske files but now I think the
                      > Dobra Voda Census is in a different language. Does anyone know what
                      > the language is and can you translate column six for me? I have
                      > downloaded a scanned image of the second page of one of the
                      > Danko documents from the 1869 census of Dobra Voda which can be found
                      > in Photos. Can anyone help me please.
                      > Thank you,
                      > Bojomo

                    • Mark Sabol
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 5 6:38 AM
                        Bojomo,

                        Julie is correct, the census form is bilingual; the top half of each column heading is in Magyar/Hungarian, and the lower half is the same content in the 1860s version of Slovak. You have the heading of column 6 correctly translated as merital status. The entries are (with Slovak/Slavic words spelled the Magyar way), approximately: Dowa = widow (the standard word today is "vdova"); Zsenaty = married, said of a man (literally, it's "womaned" or "wived"); Vidata = married, said of a woman (literally, it's "given"); and Slobodny or Slobodna = single/unmarried, literally "free".

                        Mark Sabol