Re: [Slovak-World] (unknown)

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 10, 2003
      Dear Vilo,
      All wrong!
      I like Zahoraci (Transmontanians) very much. Especially their sauerkraut and
      sense of humor.
      I know, that the inventor was born in Straze, but did not want to go into
      such geographical details now.
      I did a lot if research in Sastin parish.
      I even bought a book with the title"V Kiripolci zaby kuju" (if I am not
      mistaking)
      A load of Zahoracky Humor.
      Kiripolec is Kostoliste, near Malacky.
      The heat is affecting me all right. Don't like it. But, what has to be done,
      has to be done.
      Imagine working in the office where there is 36 deg centigrade.
      Thanks God, I have a fridge here.
      Regards,
      Vladimir

      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 12, 2003
        Dear all,

        If you are slovakian you could help the foreigner students to enjoy
        your country.

        I am french and I will be student in Slovakia. I would like to meet
        some persons to have a drink (eg. french red wine), to go to the
        nightclub and to speak english/slovencina/francais.

        If you are interested, you could join me on the
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/students_sk

        Dovidenia

        Jerome
      • Rose Cathleen Bagin
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 22, 2004
          If one goes to professor olson's faculty screen at Mcallister. one would learn that this wattribution is but another urban legend.

          Such drivel!!
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 28, 2004
            In a message dated 3/22/04 9:47:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            kaima71@... writes:

            > 6. The best way to improve military morale is to praise the troops
            > in speeches while slashing veterans' benefits and combat pay.

            Wrong.
            Speak to anyone in the military. Combat pay, benefits and salary have gone
            up up up during the present administration. Not to mention that the equipment
            has been upgraded. if one is a soldier and facing the enemy, this would be a
            high priority. the others are peace of mind for a soldier with family.

          • yawho2001
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 28, 2004
              kaima71@... writes:

              > 6. The best way to improve military morale is to praise the
              troops in speeches while slashing veterans' benefits<

              >Wrong.
              >Speak to anyone in the military.<

              What you're implying when you use "Anyone" is that every person in
              the military agrees with you. Not a good assumption.

              >........slashing veterans' benefits<

              Wrong? I don't think so Noreen. I can provide you with more than
              hearsay but I didn't want to post a list of VA benefits that are
              being eroded or have been eliminated during this administration. If
              you'd like, I'll send them to you in a private message.

              >and combat pay.<

              "Pentagon Planned To Cut Pay Of Troops Serving In Iraq And
              Afghanistan"
              "After criticism from D-------s, the Pentagon announced that current
              salaries for troops in Iraq and Afghanistan would not be cut, but
              such efforts may come at the expense of troops serving elsewhere.
              [Knight-Ridder, 4/5/03; Los Angeles Times, 4/3/03; CQ, 4/16/03; San
              Francisco Chronicle, 8/14/03; Army Times, 8/13/03; 8/20/03]"

              "Wednesday, August 9, 2000
              WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The men and women of the U.S. military soon will
              be getting a 3.7 percent pay raise, and funding for their health care
              needs will jump by 9 percent, after President C------ signed a
              military spending bill into law.
              "I have signed this bill because, on balance, it demonstrates our
              commitment to the military, meets our obligations to the troops,
              maintains readiness, and funds modernization efforts that will ensure
              our technological edge in the 21st century," C------ said Wednesday."

              Remember that previous administrations did not have a 9/11. One was
              possibly averted in 2000 by the emphasis placed on intelligence at
              that time.

              "The following is in response to a request for evidence to refute the
              idea that President Clinton "gutted" the U.S. military.

              A list of annual military budgets through 1996 can be found at:
              http://www.cdi.org/issues/milspend.html.
              From 1996 to the present, you can find them at:
              http://www.clw.org/milspend/pentagonbudget.html.

              Note that the highest budget ever was in 1989 at $376.2 billion. As
              budgets are prepared a year in advance, this would be the last Reagan-
              proposed budget.

              George Bush's military budgets were as follows:
              1990 358.7 (-$17.5 billion, -4.7%)
              1991 316.5 (-$42.2 billion, -11.8%)
              1992 328.6 (+$12.1 billion, +3.8%)
              1993 312.1 (-$16.5 billion, -5.0%)

              Clinton's military budgets (during his first term) were as follows:
              1994 290.3 (-$21.8 billion, -7.0%)
              1995 272.1 (-$18.2 billion, -6.3%)
              1996 265.6 (-$6.5 billion, -2.4%)
              1997 254.4 (-11.2 billion, -4.2%)

              Clinton's military budgets (during his second term) were as follows:
              1998 265.3 (+10.9 billion, +4.3%)
              1999 270.6 (+5.3 billion, +2.0%)
              2000 280.8 (+10.2 billion, +3.8%)
              2001 305.4 (+24.6 billion, +8.8%)

              When Bush came into office, the military budget was 358.7. When he
              left it was 312.1. That is a decrease of $46.6 billion or 13.0%.

              When Clinton came into office, the military budget was 290.3. When he
              left it was 305.4. That is an increase of $15.1 billion or 5%. "

              **********
              I don't believe our troops were using muskets during the last
              administration. They won the war in Kosovo in 78 days without
              losing troops. You have to be rather naive to believe that
              upgrading did not go on in preceding administrations. Do you believe
              that the massive military power we have was built up since this
              administration came in?

              Janko
            • Andrea Vangor
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 12, 2005
                Thank you for that! I have a bigger project in mind when I get a little time -- I thought people might enjoy seeing the chapter on Slovak immigration from Our Slavic Fellow Citizens, 1910. I need to scan and post it. And I need to take photos of some blouses and post that too. Which is an easier task when I get a few minutes.
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 30, 2006
                  Zher-naa is about the way I say Gernat. I try to tell my grandchildren to say our name correctly. I think it sounds better then Gernat. In Slovak they say Gernut. That I do not like.
                  Edward Gernat (Zher-naa

                  From: Paul Wolsko <pwolsko@...>

                  Message 8 of 22 , May 13, 2009
                    Greet you back!

                    Are you in Nitra, by any chance?

                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 2, 2011

                      Google translator says
                      Mŕtvica for stroke.

                      (cerebral vascular
                      accident)?
                      mozgových cievnych
                      nehoda

                      George Sirko

                      http://translate.google.com/#en|en|Stroke
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 2, 2011
                        No priatelia moji keby ste to nahodou chceli
                        vediet ako sa to po Slovensky spravne povie, tak je to

                        MODZGOVA PORAZKA alebo MODZGOVA PRIHODA

                        Google stuff below won't do it.

                        My cousin in Zvolen just died of one this Sunday.
                        Happened while hunting. He was 68. He will be buried in Zvolen tomorrow.

                        Vladi

                      • cerrunos1@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 2, 2011
                          Dear friends,

                          It is 'mozgova' not 'modzgova' (from the word 'mozog' or brain.) Mrtvica (lekarsky/ medical), iktus, and 'infarkt mozgu' will also work.

                          Ben

                          From: Vladimir Linder <vlinder49@...>
                          Sender: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 17:51:46
                          To: <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>

                        • lkocik@comcast.net
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 2, 2011
                            Vladi

                             I am sorry about your cousin's early death. I am glad for him that he died while doing something he enjoyed.
                            I think that is the best you can wish for someone.

                            respectfully

                            Larry K ocik ----- Original Message -----

                            At 04:29 PM 2/2/2011, you wrote:

                            >Google translator says
                            >MÅ•tvica for stroke.

                            >(cerebral vascular
                            >accident)?
                            >mozgových cievnych
                            >nehoda

                            >George Sirko
                            >
                            ><http://translate.google.com/#en>http://translate.google.com/#en|en|Stroke
                            >--- On Wed, 2/2/11, William
                            ><<mailto:wfbrna%40gmail.com>wfbrna@...> wrote:
                            >
                            >From: William <<mailto:wfbrna%40gmail.com>wfbrna@...>
                            >Subject: [Slovak-World] (unknown)
                            >To: <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                            >Date: Wednesday, February 2, 2011, 3:08 PM
                            >

                            >Can somebody give me the Slovak word for "stroke" (cerebral vascular
                            >accident)?
                            >
                            >Bill Brna

                          • Vladimir Linder
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 2, 2011
                              Thanks Larry, he was a dentist his wife died some
                              years ago of Alzheimer. Sad story. But yes he
                              loved hunting so much that he even went hunting several times to Arfica.

                              Regarding MODZGOVA MRTVICA . I was testing the
                              waters if anybody figure it right and correct and
                              the D was put in on purpose so, Ben's wife will
                              get an AAA, this time for the D and C for MRTVICA.

                              However they do not use MRTVICA that often as
                              MRTVY is DEAD. So when you have hart attack they
                              say you had an INFARKT and when you have a stroke
                              they say these days MOZGOVA PRIHODA or MOZGOVA PORAZKA.

                              My friend the former priest in Liptovska Teplicka
                              did have a stroke and hart attack at the same
                              time and I was told that he had an INFARKT and MOZGOVU PRIHODU.

                              Now you know. Now my cousin he did die from the
                              prihoda so you could say that he had mrtvica.

                              Vladi

                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 3, 2011
                                My condolences to you as well, Vladi.

                                But you are right.  We all should hope to go doing something we love.

                                I'll probably be right here, typing to you all.

                                At 06:50 PM 2/2/2011, you wrote:

                                >Vladi

                                >Â I am sorry about your cousin's early death. I

                                >am glad for him that he died while doing something he enjoyed.

                                >I think that is the best you can wish for someone.

                                >respectfully

                                >Larry K ocik ----- Original Message -----

                              • William
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 3, 2011
                                  On 2/3/2011 10:13 AM, LongJohn Wayne wrote:

                                  > My condolences to you as well, Vladi.
                                  >
                                  > But you are right. We all should hope to go doing something we love.
                                  >
                                  > I'll probably be right here, typing to you all.
                                  >
                                  > --- On Thu, 2/3/11, Vladimir Linder <vlinder49@...
                                  > <mailto:vlinder49%40shaw.ca>> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > From: Vladimir Linder <vlinder49@... <mailto:vlinder49%40shaw.ca>>
                                  > Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] (unknown)
                                  > To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>
                                  > Date: Thursday, February 3, 2011, 1:12 AM
                                  >

                                  > Thanks Larry, he was a dentist his wife died some
                                  >
                                  > years ago of Alzheimer. Sad story. But yes he
                                  >
                                  > loved hunting so much that he even went hunting several times to Arfica.
                                  >
                                  > Regarding MODZGOVA MRTVICA . I was testing the
                                  >
                                  > waters if anybody figure it right and correct and
                                  >
                                  > the D was put in on purpose so, Ben's wife will
                                  >
                                  > get an AAA, this time for the D and C for MRTVICA.
                                  >
                                  > However they do not use MRTVICA that often as
                                  >
                                  > MRTVY is DEAD. So when you have hart attack they
                                  >
                                  > say you had an INFARKT and when you have a stroke
                                  >
                                  > they say these days MOZGOVA PRIHODA or MOZGOVA PORAZKA.
                                  >
                                  > My friend the former priest in Liptovska Teplicka
                                  >
                                  > did have a stroke and hart attack at the same
                                  >
                                  > time and I was told that he had an INFARKT and MOZGOVU PRIHODU.
                                  >
                                  > Now you know. Now my cousin he did die from the
                                  >
                                  > prihoda so you could say that he had mrtvica.
                                  >
                                  > Vladi
                                  >
                                  > At 06:50 PM 2/2/2011, you wrote:
                                  >

                                  > >Vladi
                                  >

                                  > >Â I am sorry about your cousin's early death. I
                                  >
                                  > >am glad for him that he died while doing something he enjoyed.
                                  >
                                  > >I think that is the best you can wish for someone.
                                  >

                                  > >respectfully
                                  >

                                  > >Larry K ocik ----- Original Message -----
                                  >
                                  > >From: "Vladimir Linder"
                                  > <<mailto:vlinder49%40shaw.ca>vlinder49@...
                                  > <mailto:vlinder49%40shaw.ca>>

                                  Bill Brna

                                • pat Thomas
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Apr 9, 2013
                                    YES, HALLELUJAH INDEED, CHRIST IS RISEN_!!
                                    I like your style Paul, that is so great of you to remind us of "the reason for the Season", where do u go to church at?
                                    I attend here in Northern VA, and also go to the Byzantine Catholic Church, love those pierogies!

                                    Praying for many Easter Blessings upon you this season,
                                    Patricia
                                    On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 8:23 AM EDT Paul Payerchin wrote:

                                    >Hallelujah! Christ Is Risen!
                                  • George Sirko
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Apr 10, 2013
                                      Voistinu voskrese