Fast Breaking

  • Jan Lan
    Message 1 of 37 , Jun 7, 2003
      I grew up hearing breakfast called "freshtok" or something close to
      that. I later found out it was of German origin, "das Frühstück", and
      that the Slovak version was
      <http://www.travlang.com/languages/slovak/Sl089.au>ran^ajky which is
      derived from the Slovak word "rano" meaning morning. My parents were Rusyn
      and from the Bardejov area. Is this usage of a German word a local
      practice or is it part of the S^aris^ dialect? I don't know what the Rusyn
      word for breakfast would be.

      Janko
    • Fedor, Helen
      Message 37 of 37 , Sep 6, 2010
        There are plenty of German borrowings in the eastern dialects, and they're still used: s~urc (apron), biglajs (iron for ironing), lajbik (vest), fris~tik (breakfast), etc.