First Slovak Ladies Association Anniversary Cookbook and Whiting Indiana Pierogi Fest

  • Michelle Burke
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2013
      I forgot to post that this year's annual Pierogi Fest in Whiting, Indiana officially honored Helen Kocan and the First Catholic Slovak Ladies' Association Anniversary Cookbook!  (I will post a picture of the poster in her honor.)  Here's a passage from FCSLA's website that describes Mrs. Kocan's contribution to Slovak Americans:
      "Mrs. Jakabcin was replaced by Helen Kocan, who led the $34 million insurance company through the trying post-depression years.
      In 1942, the Society celebrated 50 years of fraternal service with $12 million in assets and 65,000 members. The Cleveland Slovak Union merged with FCSLU in 1945, and 1947 saw the beginning of one of the more popular convention events; the Pageant. This coronation ceremony honored the highest sellers in both the junior and senior departments. The winners were escorted through the audience onto a stage and presented with a gift. The Pageants continued for many years, and top recommenders are still honored in a similar fashion.
      One might say the decade of the 50s brought some significant long-range changes for the Society, namely the Slovak-American Cookbook, plans for a new home office and home for the aged, and the onset of a scholarship program. In 1954, the Society increased its assets $1.15 million, the largest increase for any previous year. It also added 1,656 members, 75% of whom joined the Junior Order.  When President Kocan died at the age of 78 on April 1, 1964, this remarkable executive and great Slovak and religious leader was replaced by Mrs. Elizabeth Lipovsky."