Looking ahead Re: [Slovak-World] Pitt Slovak Festival

  • Julie Michutka
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 6, 2013
      I don't usually plan so far ahead, but there's a good chance I can make it in 2014. Y'all save a seat for me!

      ~ Julie Michutka

      On Oct 3, 2013, at 9:17 PM, <votrubam@...> <votrubam@...> wrote:

      >  I guess it will be Sun, Nov. 3, 2014

      Thank you, Bette, your help is greatly appreciated, the date is fixed now. Indeed, the Annual Slovak Heritage Festival organized by the Slovak Studies Program at the University of Pittsburgh will take place on Sunday, November 3 (this year, 2013):

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 24, 2013
        One of these days, I hope to attend, Martin!

        Sorry I used this site to reply, Ron.

        Subject: [Slovak-World] RE: Re: Pitt Slovak Festival
        To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Thursday, October 3, 2013, 9:17 PM

        >  I guess it will be Sun, Nov. 3,
        2014
        Thank
        you, Bette, your help is greatly appreciated, the date is
        fixed now. Indeed, the Annual Slovak Heritage Festival
        organized by the Slovak Studies Program at the University of
        Pittsburgh will take place on Sunday, November 3 (this year,
        2013):
        <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/currentinfo/currentinfo.html>

        Here
        are three topics recently added to the Slovak Queries pages
        that are part of the Slovak Studies Program website at
        Pitt:
        <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/qsonhist.html>

        +++++ Some people compiling their genealogies assume
        that listing the place names as they find them in old
        records represents their "true" name at that time.
        Here's some clarification with examples (places had
        parallel names for centuries without any of them being
        "truer" than another one):
        <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/placenamesslovakiahungary.html>

        +++++
        When faced with Central European forms, people are sometimes
        puzzled to see they need to fill in separate boxes for
        "Nationality" and "Citizenship."
        It's because a "nation" does not mean the same
        in the U.S. and in Central Europe. What can an American do?

        <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/slovaknationalityethnicityenglishtranslation.html>

        +++++
        Why are the most common last names in Slovakia and Hungary
        similar and what do they mean?
        <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/lastnamesslovakiahungary.html>