Pitt Slovak Festival

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2013
      When, where and what is going on at the Slovak Festival in Pittsburgh this year? I am coming down and plan on coming it to enjoy it and see who I run across!

      Ron
    • votrubam
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2013

        The details of the Slovak Heritage Festival at the University of Pittsburgh are posted here (consider bookmarking it) each year:

        http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/currentinfo/currentinfo.html

        ... as they become available. What's there is preliminary at the moment. People can also post queries to Slovak Spot:

        http://groups.google.com/group/slovak-spot/
      • Bette
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 3, 2013
          I checked out the date on the link you sent and it says Sun. Nov 4th, 2013, but Nov 4th is a Monday.  I guess it will be Sun, Nov. 3, 2014.
          Sounds interesting and would love to come. Just this year, I found out my family was from Slovakia.

          Bette
        • Fred G Kovalyak
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 3, 2013
               I am sure you will enjoy the Pitt SLOVAK Festival Bette. The Music and Food is Fantastic.
            Unfortunately I will not be able to make it again this year. My children don't want this 80 yr ole guy driving 300 miles to attend this Great event.

            You might even ask about the Pre Slovak Party the night before the Festival...its also Great.
               FG Kovalyak

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 3, 2013

              >  I guess it will be Sun, Nov. 3, 2014

              Thank you, Bette, your help is greatly appreciated, the date is fixed now. Indeed, the Annual Slovak Heritage Festival organized by the Slovak Studies Program at the University of Pittsburgh will take place on Sunday, November 3 (this year, 2013):

              <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/currentinfo/currentinfo.html>

              Here are three topics recently added to the Slovak Queries pages that are part of the Slovak Studies Program website at Pitt:

              <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/qsonhist.html>

              +++++ Some people compiling their genealogies assume that listing the place names as they find them in old records represents their "true" name at that time. Here's some clarification with examples (places had parallel names for centuries without any of them being "truer" than another one):

              <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/placenamesslovakiahungary.html>

              +++++ When faced with Central European forms, people are sometimes puzzled to see they need to fill in separate boxes for "Nationality" and "Citizenship." It's because a "nation" does not mean the same in the U.S. and in Central Europe. What can an American do?

              <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/slovaknationalityethnicityenglishtranslation.html>

              +++++ Why are the most common last names in Slovakia and Hungary similar and what do they mean?

              <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/lastnamesslovakiahungary.html>

            • Julie Michutka
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 6, 2013
                I don't usually plan so far ahead, but there's a good chance I can make it in 2014. Y'all save a seat for me!

                ~ Julie Michutka

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 24, 2013
                  One of these days, I hope to attend, Martin!

                  Sorry I used this site to reply, Ron.

                  Subject: [Slovak-World] RE: Re: Pitt Slovak Festival
                  To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Thursday, October 3, 2013, 9:17 PM

[...]