Translate Hungarian document

  • Joe Armata
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 2, 2013
      Someone has sent me a one-page genealogy document written in Hungarian.
      Would anyone be willing to take a look at it and translate it for
      them? I posted it on our Yahoo groups site in the Files section and
      called it "Kulfan Document-1.jpeg".

      Thanks in advance,

      Joe
    • Barbara Geisler
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 3, 2013
        Joe,
        This appears to be a delayed Baptismal certificate dated August, 21, 1883.

        the first word, Kivonat means extraction

        From the Evangelical registrar (obviously, that is not a word for word translation, but it does sum it up.)

        Ezernyloczpar hatvan egy: One thousand eight hundred and sixty one.

        Not sure, but I think the next line is telling you that it is entry number 156, page 11 in the Registry book.

        Date of birth: 1861 May 18
        Date of Baptism: 1861 May 21
        Given name of baptized: Zsuzsi (Susan)
        Father: Mihaly Kulfan, occupation: timar: currier or tinner, evangelical
        mother: Maria Hudviska, evangelical

        Locality at baptism: Haj (?) 57

        Gocparents: Samuel Kulfan and Anna Sztacko

        Officiate of baptism: Daniel Martin (not sure if there is a letter on the end of the nam, or just a fancy ending.)

        I'm going to presume that the bottom says something to the effect that the person writing the document attests that the info came from the official church registry and he signs his name. under the date.

        I'm willing to bet another member much more fluent in Hungarian than I will be able to translate the document word for word.

        Barbara
      • Armata, Joseph R
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 4, 2013
          Thanks very much, Barbara!

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 4, 2013

            Paul, I just contacted Susan Kalcik about the website, because Karen Mesaros used to keep it up, but it has not had a gatekeeper since.

            Usually the Johnstown Tribune Democrat lists activities and events at the Ethnic Festival, and that is how I check.  You can do so online or in the physical newspaper.

            Michael

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, <slovak-world@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            Samuel:

            The Slovak Heritage Society of the Laurel Highlands has the info on the celebration in Johnstown, PA.

            Samuel are you related to the Rev. Milan Ontko?

            Paul Payerchin