Re: [Slovak-World] Labor Day weekend festivals?

  • Paul Payerchin
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 28, 2013
      Samuel:

      The Slovak Heritage Society of the Laurel Highlands has the info on the celebration in Johnstown, PA.

      Samuel are you related to the Rev. Milan Ontko?

      Paul Payerchin

      On Aug 28, 2013, at 9:01 AM, "Samuel Ontko" <smontko@...> wrote:

      > St. Anthony of Padua Church, 6750 State Road, will host a Slovak Festival from noon-8 p.m. Sept. 2.
      >
      > The John Pastirik and Frank Moravcik bands will perform. The Sarisan Dancers from Detroit and the Lucinka Dancers from Cleveland will also perform, starting at 3 p.m.
      >
      > There will be Slovak food and pastry. Tickets are $5 at the door but children 12 and younger will get in free.
      > Call 440-885-1994 or 440-845-0282.

    • Armata, Joseph R
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 28, 2013
        The SHSLH doesn't seem to have any info on the celebration online. Their web page (http://slovakheritage.tripod.com/id4.html) hasn't been updated since 2005. Their facebook page (http://tinyurl.com/q8jy9va) hasn't been updated since 2012.

        Joe

        The Slovak Heritage Society of the Laurel Highlands has the info on the celebration in Johnstown, PA.

        Samuel are you related to the Rev. Milan Ontko?

        Paul Payerchin

        On Aug 28, 2013, at 9:01 AM, "Samuel Ontko" <smontko@...> wrote:

        > St. Anthony of Padua Church, 6750 State Road, will host a Slovak Festival from noon-8 p.m. Sept. 2.
        >
        > The John Pastirik and Frank Moravcik bands will perform. The Sarisan Dancers from Detroit and the Lucinka Dancers from Cleveland will also perform, starting at 3 p.m.
        >
        > There will be Slovak food and pastry. Tickets are $5 at the door but children 12 and younger will get in free.
        > Call 440-885-1994 or 440-845-0282.

      • Joe Armata
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2013
          Someone has sent me a one-page genealogy document written in Hungarian.
          Would anyone be willing to take a look at it and translate it for
          them? I posted it on our Yahoo groups site in the Files section and
          called it "Kulfan Document-1.jpeg".

          Thanks in advance,

          Joe
        • Barbara Geisler
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 3, 2013
            Joe,
            This appears to be a delayed Baptismal certificate dated August, 21, 1883.

            the first word, Kivonat means extraction

            From the Evangelical registrar (obviously, that is not a word for word translation, but it does sum it up.)

            Ezernyloczpar hatvan egy: One thousand eight hundred and sixty one.

            Not sure, but I think the next line is telling you that it is entry number 156, page 11 in the Registry book.

            Date of birth: 1861 May 18
            Date of Baptism: 1861 May 21
            Given name of baptized: Zsuzsi (Susan)
            Father: Mihaly Kulfan, occupation: timar: currier or tinner, evangelical
            mother: Maria Hudviska, evangelical

            Locality at baptism: Haj (?) 57

            Gocparents: Samuel Kulfan and Anna Sztacko

            Officiate of baptism: Daniel Martin (not sure if there is a letter on the end of the nam, or just a fancy ending.)

            I'm going to presume that the bottom says something to the effect that the person writing the document attests that the info came from the official church registry and he signs his name. under the date.

            I'm willing to bet another member much more fluent in Hungarian than I will be able to translate the document word for word.

            Barbara
          • Armata, Joseph R
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 4, 2013
              Thanks very much, Barbara!

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 4, 2013

                Paul, I just contacted Susan Kalcik about the website, because Karen Mesaros used to keep it up, but it has not had a gatekeeper since.

                Usually the Johnstown Tribune Democrat lists activities and events at the Ethnic Festival, and that is how I check.  You can do so online or in the physical newspaper.

                Michael