Re: [Slovak-World] Labor Day weekend festivals?

  • barbgolias
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 28, 2013
      The St. Anthony of Padua Slovak Festival in Parma OH is Sunday Sept. 1 noon
      to 8 - not Sept. 2. I will be helping to serve food 12 - 3 and after
      that I will be at the Cleveland Bratislava Sister City table handing out
      information on our group.

      Barb Golias

      In a message dated 8/28/2013 9:03:10 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      smontko@... writes:

      St. Anthony of Padua Church, 6750 State Road, will host a Slovak Festival
      from noon-8 p.m. Sept. 2.

      The John Pastirik and Frank Moravcik bands will perform. The Sarisan
      Dancers from Detroit and the Lucinka Dancers from Cleveland will also perform,
      starting at 3 p.m.

      There will be Slovak food and pastry. Tickets are $5 at the door but
      children 12 and younger will get in free.
      Call 440-885-1994 or 440-845-0282.

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 28, 2013
        Samuel:

        The Slovak Heritage Society of the Laurel Highlands has the info on the celebration in Johnstown, PA.

        Samuel are you related to the Rev. Milan Ontko?

        Paul Payerchin

        On Aug 28, 2013, at 9:01 AM, "Samuel Ontko" <smontko@...> wrote:

        > St. Anthony of Padua Church, 6750 State Road, will host a Slovak Festival from noon-8 p.m. Sept. 2.
        >
        > The John Pastirik and Frank Moravcik bands will perform. The Sarisan Dancers from Detroit and the Lucinka Dancers from Cleveland will also perform, starting at 3 p.m.
        >
        > There will be Slovak food and pastry. Tickets are $5 at the door but children 12 and younger will get in free.
        > Call 440-885-1994 or 440-845-0282.

      • Armata, Joseph R
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 28, 2013
          The SHSLH doesn't seem to have any info on the celebration online. Their web page (http://slovakheritage.tripod.com/id4.html) hasn't been updated since 2005. Their facebook page (http://tinyurl.com/q8jy9va) hasn't been updated since 2012.

          Joe

          The Slovak Heritage Society of the Laurel Highlands has the info on the celebration in Johnstown, PA.

          Samuel are you related to the Rev. Milan Ontko?

          Paul Payerchin

          On Aug 28, 2013, at 9:01 AM, "Samuel Ontko" <smontko@...> wrote:

          > St. Anthony of Padua Church, 6750 State Road, will host a Slovak Festival from noon-8 p.m. Sept. 2.
          >
          > The John Pastirik and Frank Moravcik bands will perform. The Sarisan Dancers from Detroit and the Lucinka Dancers from Cleveland will also perform, starting at 3 p.m.
          >
          > There will be Slovak food and pastry. Tickets are $5 at the door but children 12 and younger will get in free.
          > Call 440-885-1994 or 440-845-0282.

        • Joe Armata
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2, 2013
            Someone has sent me a one-page genealogy document written in Hungarian.
            Would anyone be willing to take a look at it and translate it for
            them? I posted it on our Yahoo groups site in the Files section and
            called it "Kulfan Document-1.jpeg".

            Thanks in advance,

            Joe
          • Barbara Geisler
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 3, 2013
              Joe,
              This appears to be a delayed Baptismal certificate dated August, 21, 1883.

              the first word, Kivonat means extraction

              From the Evangelical registrar (obviously, that is not a word for word translation, but it does sum it up.)

              Ezernyloczpar hatvan egy: One thousand eight hundred and sixty one.

              Not sure, but I think the next line is telling you that it is entry number 156, page 11 in the Registry book.

              Date of birth: 1861 May 18
              Date of Baptism: 1861 May 21
              Given name of baptized: Zsuzsi (Susan)
              Father: Mihaly Kulfan, occupation: timar: currier or tinner, evangelical
              mother: Maria Hudviska, evangelical

              Locality at baptism: Haj (?) 57

              Gocparents: Samuel Kulfan and Anna Sztacko

              Officiate of baptism: Daniel Martin (not sure if there is a letter on the end of the nam, or just a fancy ending.)

              I'm going to presume that the bottom says something to the effect that the person writing the document attests that the info came from the official church registry and he signs his name. under the date.

              I'm willing to bet another member much more fluent in Hungarian than I will be able to translate the document word for word.

              Barbara
            • Armata, Joseph R
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 4, 2013
                Thanks very much, Barbara!

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 4, 2013

                  Paul, I just contacted Susan Kalcik about the website, because Karen Mesaros used to keep it up, but it has not had a gatekeeper since.

                  Usually the Johnstown Tribune Democrat lists activities and events at the Ethnic Festival, and that is how I check.  You can do so online or in the physical newspaper.

                  Michael