Labor Day weekend festivals?

  • Armata, Joseph R
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 28, 2013
      I understand there are Slovak events over Labor Day weekend in Parma Ohio, and Johnstown PA. Does anyone have more information on where/when? I googled around and there doesn't seem to be current info on the web. Thanks!

      Joe
    • Samuel Ontko
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 28, 2013
        St. Anthony of Padua Church, 6750 State Road, will host a Slovak Festival from noon-8 p.m. Sept. 2.

        The John Pastirik and Frank Moravcik bands will perform. The Sarisan Dancers from Detroit and the Lucinka Dancers from Cleveland will also perform, starting at 3 p.m.

        There will be Slovak food and pastry. Tickets are $5 at the door but children 12 and younger will get in free.
        Call 440-885-1994 or 440-845-0282.

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 28, 2013
          2013 PERCH, PEACH, PIEROGI AND POLKA FESTIVAL PLANNED

          Perch, Peach, Pierogi and Polka Festival in Port Clinton, Ohio

          The 9th annual Perch, Peach, Pierogi and Polka Festival will be held at the Knights of Columbus Hall in downtown Port Clinton at 109 E. Perry Street, over Labor Day Weekend. This year the fun filled event will begin on Friday, August 30, at 5:00pm. The fun, food and fantastic polka music will continue on Saturday, August 31 and Sunday, September 1. The festival will be open from 5pm to 11 pm on Friday and from 11am until 11pm on both Saturday and Sunday.

          Once again Lake Erie yellow perch sandwiches and dinners will be served along with pierogis and delicious peach cobbler. Polish sausage sandwiches and pizza will also be available. Soft drinks, wine coolers and ice cold beer will be sold in the beer tent.

          On Saturday at 4pm, the Black Tie Dance Studio will provide free polka lessons for those wishing to improve their polka skills and on Sunday at 5pm will be the ever popular pierogi eating contest. Cash prizes go to the winner!

          The festival will kick off at 5pm Friday, with all food and beverages available. The lead band will be the Frank Moravcik Band, a new addition to the festival. Based in Cleveland, the Frank Moravcik Band was formed in 1995. The main emphasis of their music is on the “Cleveland Style” of polka music, however, they are known for their ability to perform a wide variety of different styles of polka music and popular dance tunes. Frank and the band have been honored by various organizations including the National Cleveland Style Polka Hall of Fame. Frank was honored as the Musician of the Year by the Collinwood Slovenian Home in Cleveland, Ohio and the band was recipient of the Best New/Young Band Award from the Polka Hall of Fame. The band has received numerous nominations in categories of Band of the Year and Album of the Year. Over the years, Frank has hosted a number of bus tours and performed with the band on cruise ships. His music has taken him to several venues besides Ohio including Pennsylvania, Louisiana, Missouri, Florida, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, New York, Minnesota, Texas, and Washington, D.C. Internationally, he has performed in Canada and the Netherlands.

          Returning to the stage this year, on Saturday from noon to 4pm, will be the Duane Malinowski Orchestra. Duane has been in the business for over thirty years, and after spending the last fifteen years playing locally in the Michigan/Ohio area, he has taken to the road once again. Even though he has recorded a couple of great country CD’s in Nashville, he has always stayed true to his Polish heritage. His latest release “Through the Years - Two Sides of Duane” is getting rave reviews from across the country. He has a solid group that, when you hear this band, you just know they love what they are doing! Like all the other bands, Duane and his group have performed throughout the United State, on cruise ships, and internationally.

          Highlighting the weekend music will be the Del Sinchak Band from Youngstown, Ohio. Del will play from 5pm to 10pm on Saturday, August 31and again on Sunday from 12 noon until 5pm. The Del Sinchak Band has seven successful releases on the award winning Peppermint label. The National Cleveland Style Polka Hall of Fame nominated four of these albums for the Album of the Year. The National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences nominated “Let the Sunshine In” the album for a Grammy Award for the Best Polka Album in 1999. In 2005, Del’s album “Polkapizzazz” was also nominated for a Grammy. Del Sinchak is a member of the National Cleveland Style Polka Hall of Fame and in 2009 he received a Lifetime Achievement Award. This group has won the hearts of thousands of polka fans with their energetic live performances, and has played at all eight previous Perch, Peach, Pieroigi and Polka Festivals.

          The last band to perform will be the Eddie Rodick Orchestra. This band played at last year’s festival and was a real crowd pleaser. Eddie has been wowing audiences with his unique and exciting accordion playing for over 40 years. The entire band is made up of outstanding musicians and vocalists.

          Eddie has been awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award for the National Polka Hall of

          Fame, and his orchestra was named the Band of the Year in 1990, 2002, 2007 and 2008. Their album, “Polka Sweethearts” was the winner of the 2007 recording of the year. Eddie and his orchestra have played throughout the United States, in Spain, Holland, Canada, and Mexico.

          The Eddie Rodick Orchestra will perform from 5:30pm until 9:30pm on Sunday, September 1st.

          The festivities will conclude with the Big Multi-prize Cash drawing at 10:00pm on Sunday.

          For those of you who are looking for something else to do, Labor Day Weekend will be an exciting time in the City of Port Clinton. To commemorate the Battle of Lake Erie during the War of 1812, two tall ships, the Pathfinder and the Playfair, will call Port Clinton home from August 30 to September 1, 2013. Dockside tours of these vessels will be offered during this three day event. In addition, visitors to the Battle of Lake Erie Bicentennial Celebration will experience period re-enactors, story tellers, cannon demonstrations, an assortment of vendors, the Ohio State University Marching Band and many other wonderful attractions in and around the Waterworks Park area.

          This year, parking will be available in Port Clinton with a shuttle service to and from the festival. Parking will be available at the Sutton Center/City Hall Parking lot, 1868 E. Perry Street. There is a parking fee of $10.00 but the shuttle is free. Follow the signs to Tall Ships Shuttle Parking.

          Admission to the festival for adults is $3.00 and anyone under 18 is free. The facility is protected from the elements and will continue rain or shine. Everyone is invited to join us for a fun filled weekend.

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 28, 2013
            The St. Anthony of Padua Slovak Festival in Parma OH is Sunday Sept. 1 noon
            to 8 - not Sept. 2. I will be helping to serve food 12 - 3 and after
            that I will be at the Cleveland Bratislava Sister City table handing out
            information on our group.

            Barb Golias

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 28, 2013
              Samuel:

              The Slovak Heritage Society of the Laurel Highlands has the info on the celebration in Johnstown, PA.

              Samuel are you related to the Rev. Milan Ontko?

              Paul Payerchin

              On Aug 28, 2013, at 9:01 AM, "Samuel Ontko" <smontko@...> wrote:

              > St. Anthony of Padua Church, 6750 State Road, will host a Slovak Festival from noon-8 p.m. Sept. 2.
              >
              > The John Pastirik and Frank Moravcik bands will perform. The Sarisan Dancers from Detroit and the Lucinka Dancers from Cleveland will also perform, starting at 3 p.m.
              >
              > There will be Slovak food and pastry. Tickets are $5 at the door but children 12 and younger will get in free.
              > Call 440-885-1994 or 440-845-0282.

            • Armata, Joseph R
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 28, 2013
                The SHSLH doesn't seem to have any info on the celebration online. Their web page (http://slovakheritage.tripod.com/id4.html) hasn't been updated since 2005. Their facebook page (http://tinyurl.com/q8jy9va) hasn't been updated since 2012.

                Joe

                The Slovak Heritage Society of the Laurel Highlands has the info on the celebration in Johnstown, PA.

                Samuel are you related to the Rev. Milan Ontko?

                Paul Payerchin

                On Aug 28, 2013, at 9:01 AM, "Samuel Ontko" <smontko@...> wrote:

                > St. Anthony of Padua Church, 6750 State Road, will host a Slovak Festival from noon-8 p.m. Sept. 2.
                >
                > The John Pastirik and Frank Moravcik bands will perform. The Sarisan Dancers from Detroit and the Lucinka Dancers from Cleveland will also perform, starting at 3 p.m.
                >
                > There will be Slovak food and pastry. Tickets are $5 at the door but children 12 and younger will get in free.
                > Call 440-885-1994 or 440-845-0282.

              • Joe Armata
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 2, 2013
                  Someone has sent me a one-page genealogy document written in Hungarian.
                  Would anyone be willing to take a look at it and translate it for
                  them? I posted it on our Yahoo groups site in the Files section and
                  called it "Kulfan Document-1.jpeg".

                  Thanks in advance,

                  Joe
                • Barbara Geisler
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 3, 2013
                    Joe,
                    This appears to be a delayed Baptismal certificate dated August, 21, 1883.

                    the first word, Kivonat means extraction

                    From the Evangelical registrar (obviously, that is not a word for word translation, but it does sum it up.)

                    Ezernyloczpar hatvan egy: One thousand eight hundred and sixty one.

                    Not sure, but I think the next line is telling you that it is entry number 156, page 11 in the Registry book.

                    Date of birth: 1861 May 18
                    Date of Baptism: 1861 May 21
                    Given name of baptized: Zsuzsi (Susan)
                    Father: Mihaly Kulfan, occupation: timar: currier or tinner, evangelical
                    mother: Maria Hudviska, evangelical

                    Locality at baptism: Haj (?) 57

                    Gocparents: Samuel Kulfan and Anna Sztacko

                    Officiate of baptism: Daniel Martin (not sure if there is a letter on the end of the nam, or just a fancy ending.)

                    I'm going to presume that the bottom says something to the effect that the person writing the document attests that the info came from the official church registry and he signs his name. under the date.

                    I'm willing to bet another member much more fluent in Hungarian than I will be able to translate the document word for word.

                    Barbara
                  • Armata, Joseph R
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 4, 2013
                      Thanks very much, Barbara!

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 4, 2013

                        Paul, I just contacted Susan Kalcik about the website, because Karen Mesaros used to keep it up, but it has not had a gatekeeper since.

                        Usually the Johnstown Tribune Democrat lists activities and events at the Ethnic Festival, and that is how I check.  You can do so online or in the physical newspaper.

                        Michael