Re: Dukla Pass

  • John Yowpa III
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 9 7:43 PM
      Sounds great Cathie! I will definitely put on my list of things to see. Due
      east of my ultimate goal....eventually :) (maly lipnik)

      --
      John Yowpa III, MD

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 8, 2013
        Thank you SO MUCH for this post, Cathie!

        Subject: [Slovak-World] Dukla Pass
        To: "Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com" <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>
        Date: Friday, August 9, 2013, 3:41 PM

        I am in Slovensko for vacation. Today, my cousin
        and I drove to Dukla Pass from Spisska Nova Ves. It took
        2.5 hours. It is not close to anything, well, maybe an hour
        or so from Presov can be considered
        close.<br/><br/>If you are ever in the area,
        this should be on your must see list. The monument is
        beautiful. It is at the site of the graves of at least 800
        soldiers from all countries involved in the battle.
        observatory/museum. It was only 1 Euro to go to the deck 8
        stories up. What a view. If you used your imagination, you
        can just see the battles going on. There are plenty of
        artifacts to see, including tanks, weaponry and
        miscellaneous items. Along the way there, you see old tanks
        and Howitzer-style cannons in the
        fields.<br/><br/>The monument and tower are just
        a few meters from Poland, like 30 meters, so we did. Now I
        can say I was in Poland! I also have the pictures to prove

        it.<br/><br/>The trip back included a stop in
        Vysny Komarnik just south of Dukla at an old Rusyn wooden
        church. I've never seen one. I only took pictures from
        the road.<br/><br/>We stopped at Svitnik for
        another war memorial. The plaques were written in Czech and
        Russian.<br/><br/> I highly recommend a trip to
        Dukla with stops along the way.<br/><br/>Cathie
        Mail for iPad

      • amiak27
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 10, 2013
          The Dukla Operation is also covered as part of the exhibition in Banska Bystrica in the "Museum of Slovak National Uprising". I stopped in there to see how the display might have changed in 10 years, and it covers more of the international participation, including the western allies.

          Do ask for the English language Exposition Guide when you go in, however. It adds a lot that would be missed otherwise. They also have many monitors with different part of the stories with videos in various languages, including English.

          To: "Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com" <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>