Dukla Pass

  • Cathie McAdams
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 9, 2013

    • John Yowpa III
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 9, 2013
        Sounds great Cathie! I will definitely put on my list of things to see. Due
        east of my ultimate goal....eventually :) (maly lipnik)

        --
        John Yowpa III, MD

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 8, 2013
          Thank you SO MUCH for this post, Cathie!

          Subject: [Slovak-World] Dukla Pass
          To: "Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com" <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>
          Date: Friday, August 9, 2013, 3:41 PM

          I am in Slovensko for vacation. Today, my cousin
          and I drove to Dukla Pass from Spisska Nova Ves. It took
          2.5 hours. It is not close to anything, well, maybe an hour
          or so from Presov can be considered
          close.<br/><br/>If you are ever in the area,
          this should be on your must see list. The monument is
          beautiful. It is at the site of the graves of at least 800
          soldiers from all countries involved in the battle.
          observatory/museum. It was only 1 Euro to go to the deck 8
          stories up. What a view. If you used your imagination, you
          can just see the battles going on. There are plenty of
          artifacts to see, including tanks, weaponry and
          miscellaneous items. Along the way there, you see old tanks
          and Howitzer-style cannons in the
          fields.<br/><br/>The monument and tower are just
          a few meters from Poland, like 30 meters, so we did. Now I
          can say I was in Poland! I also have the pictures to prove

          it.<br/><br/>The trip back included a stop in
          Vysny Komarnik just south of Dukla at an old Rusyn wooden
          church. I've never seen one. I only took pictures from
          the road.<br/><br/>We stopped at Svitnik for
          another war memorial. The plaques were written in Czech and
          Russian.<br/><br/> I highly recommend a trip to
          Dukla with stops along the way.<br/><br/>Cathie
          Mail for iPad

        • amiak27
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 10, 2013
            The Dukla Operation is also covered as part of the exhibition in Banska Bystrica in the "Museum of Slovak National Uprising". I stopped in there to see how the display might have changed in 10 years, and it covers more of the international participation, including the western allies.

            Do ask for the English language Exposition Guide when you go in, however. It adds a lot that would be missed otherwise. They also have many monitors with different part of the stories with videos in various languages, including English.

            To: "Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com" <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>