Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Searching for Stefanik

  • bjlkltd
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2013
      Hi, Mike!

      I'm an old lady now and probably have lots of stories. Is there anything in
      particular that you are looking for? What kind of research are you doing?

      B. J.

      _________________________
      B. J. Licko-Keel (BJLK@...)

      In a message dated 8/2/2013 1:42:09 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
      mjkopanic@... writes:

      BJ,

      I found this in a search, and am doing some research on Chicago Slovaks.
      Are there any other stories you could share about your experiences growing
      up in the Chicago Slovak community?

      Thanks,

      Mike Kopanic

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, BJLK@... wrote:

      > Thank you so much for sharing this link. It brings back so many happy
      > memories. Chicago Slovaks of my generation were very much aware of
      General
      > Milan Stefanik.
      >
      > When I was a child growing up in Chicago, my Slovak Sokol lodge's
      gymnasium
      > was housed in a beautiful building called Stefanikova Dvorana, which
      was
      > dedicated to the memory of this important Slovak hero. The building was

      > also one of the important Slovak cultural centers of its time where we
      saw
      > many divadlo performances on its fully equipped theater stage, choral
      and
      > orchestral concerts, Sokol verejnie, and many other important Slovak
      events of
      > that time. In addition to its auditorium, the building housed meeting
      > rooms, two professional kitchens, and two bars, which made it an
      attractive
      > place for weddings, banquets, dance parties, or other important
      anniversaries
      > and celebrations. (The auditorium stage was large enough to
      accommodate a
      > fairly large orchestra.)
      >
      > Unfortunately, the building was used for fewer and fewer occasions as
      > social customs changed and Slovaks began dispersing among the newly
      sprawling
      > Chicago suburbs. It fell into disrepair and stood abandoned for several

      > years. During this sad time, it became a sanctuary for homeless
      squatters who
      > finally destroyed it completely by setting fires to keep warm. One of
      > these fires damaged the structure so badly that it was razed--only a
      vacant lot
      > now remains.
      >
      > Like another well-known Slovak meeting place about a mile away, Pilsen
      > Park, the Stefanikova Dvorana is now just another beloved piece of
      > local-Chicago Slovak history.
      >
      > Moje spomienky na detstvo . . .
      >
      > B. J.
      >
      > _____________________________
      > B. J. Licko-Keel (_BJLK@..._ (http://BJLK@.../) )
      >

      > In a message dated 8/21/2011 10:23:03 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
      > tharmon63@... writes:
      >
      > I wonder how many Slovaks in North America know who Stefanik is and how
      > important he was to Slovaks worldwide. I certainly didn't until
      recently.

      > http://paulinescookbook.wordpress.com/2011/08/21/searching-for-stefanik/
      >
      > --
      > Tonya Harmon

    • James Dubelko
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2013
        For a story out of Cleveland that gives a whole new meaning to the words
        "Searching for Stefanik," see the Cleveland Historical story about the
        Milan R. Stefanik statue in Cleveland (which I wrote) at:

        http://bit.ly/138Bxb5

        Jim Dubelko

        Jim Dubelko
        6051 Sandpiper Lane