Slovakia Deep History 2013

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 26, 2013
      Slovakia Deep History

      How about 70,000 years of history in Slovakia? We have the Ganovce Man (or woman as some say from the investigations), found ooutside of Poprad, a Neanderthal brain. Who came since, who stayed and who moved on are questions that are likely to be answered in generalities unless archeology goes through some miraculous changes. There doesn't seem to be much written in the scientific literature, or at least I haven't found it in English or German or noted hints in the bit of Slovak that I can muster. So I looked north of the border in Poland, where they seem to have researced and written more. I skipped the salt mine near Krakow and found a veritable gold mine instead in the "Muzeum Archeologiczne w Krakowie", "Archaeological Museum in Krakow".

      They have a special display on the Krakow region from 70,000 BC through 1300 AD. Yes, they still use the old designations. Sadly they define the Krakow region as extending just a bit south of Krakow. I was hoping it would extend south past the current Slovak border. Happily the map stops only 60km or about 40 miles from the Slovak border, which is not far as the stone age man wanders. So I would count their write-up and findings as indicative as to what may have been going on in Slovak territory over the same periods. This goes beyond the common writings we often find that say simply claim "my people wandered through that territory first!"

      From the old neanderthal finds they jump forward to 21,000 BC an continue in steps through 6800, 5300, 3500, 1900, 700 and 250 BC before they jump to what is known of AD 160, 800, 1000, and finish with 1300AD. I still have to look at the book more closely, but what struck me about the exhibit is how thickly settled the area was - MANY times!

      Perhaps I had best tabulate the approximate settlement density as I read the maps.

      6800BC, climatic optimum of the Holocene (coH). Noticable settlements south of Krakow.
      5300BC, (coH) beginning of permanant settlements, arrival of farmers. More thickly settled.
      3500BC, sub-boreal period. More thickly settled. Parts densly settled.
      1900BC, sub-boreal period. Noticably thinner settlement.
      700BC, twilight of the sub-boreal period. Much more thickly settled.
      250BC, sub-Atlantic period. Very thinly settled, noticably less than 5300BC.
      160AD, sub-Atlantic period. Very thickly settled.
      800AD, sub-Atlantic period. Very thinly settled.
      1000AD, sub-atlantic period. Thickly settled.
      1300AD, sub-Atlantic period. Very thickly settled.

      I am lookiing forward to reading the book to see what detail they may offer, and hopefully how they drew their conclusions. I was hoping they would have references to scientific papers identifying specifics in their findings but I see no list. Once aware of this, however, we can start looking for source material.

      Now to haunt some Slovak museums and see what might be found to round out th current picture in our lands.

      I posted 3 of the photos in the album Krakow Settlements so you can see what density I am refering to. I will leave them there a while and delete them, perhaps in September.

      Ron
      PS. As a follow-up I am headed to Brno, Czechia for a few days to check out their info on the stone age times. They are supposed to have all of the artifacts from the Predmosti finds.

      In both Polish and English,
      ISBN 83-911543-3-5 "Pradzieje I Wczesne Srednioiecze Malopolski", "Prehistory and Early Middle Ages of Little POland" (dual title). Exhibition Guide and Catalogue. Cost: 70 Zloty, about $24. Includes a CD with an installable program on the displays.
    • Ron
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 27, 2013
        The link to the three maps on Slovak World is
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World/photos/album/1422996626/pic/list

        You can also google the museum and gathr other information.