Re: [Slovak-World] Video about life in Slovakia

  • Ben Sorensen
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 25, 2013
      But do they??? This is showing just one segment of the population! Remember, the film aims to show this side of Slovak life-- a side of Slovak life that seems to be repeated over and over (we have nothing, there is no money, life in Slovakia is hard....) It will sound cold, but many people in Slovakia are almost professional complainers about life. I lived there- made Slovak wages- and certainly money was low. BUT, none of us were starving in my village. We could make the choice to enjoy what we did have or complain that "Slovakia is a small country, with no chance.... ved' nie sme Amerika."

      There are Slovaks, however, who enjoy what they have and keep hope- but they were hardly the focus of this film!
      Ben

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 25, 2013
        I don't know Ben. It seems to be a regional problem. My cousin, who sent me the video, says there are not a lot of jobs in the Gemer region where she lives. Previously, there was a lot of mining in the area and jobs were more plentiful. But now the young people can't find jobs locally and have to go elsewhere. Many go to the Czech Republic. However the big cities seem to be more prosperous than the rural areas. Where did you live?

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> wrote:

        > But do they??? This is showing just one segment of the population! Remember, the film aims to show this side of Slovak life-- a side of Slovak life that seems to be repeated over and over (we have nothing, there is no money, life in Slovakia is hard....) It will sound cold, but many people in Slovakia are almost professional complainers about life. I lived there- made Slovak wages- and certainly money was low. BUT, none of us were starving in my village. We could make the choice to enjoy what we did have or complain that "Slovakia is a small country, with no chance.... ved' nie sme Amerika."
        >
        > There are Slovaks, however, who enjoy what they have and keep hope- but they were hardly the focus of this film!
        > Ben

      • whiteox_nelson
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 25, 2013
          I just got back - 3 weeks in Slovakia and 3 in Hungary. There are no borders to speak of and I would say most of the population in those Central European countries being part of the EU have the opportunity to find work where they can. Factories are already there and opening up new ones close to the Slovak border in Hungary and they expect to employ a large Slovak (read multicultural)workforce. As far as the more wealthier countries of Europe are concerned, both Slovakia and Hungary have a much cheaper workforce and government incentives make it economical to invest there. This is happening at the moment.
          Peter M.