RE: [Slovak-World] Video about life in Slovakia

  • Plichta
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 24, 2013
      I can't find the link you are talking about.

      Please go the web site again.

      Open the video you want us to see.

      The post the URL link of the video you are watching.

      Thanks,

      Frank

      _____

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 24, 2013
        I will give you my opinion when I come back in August. :-) I have seen Slovakia grow up; conditions are horrible for some and great for others... depends on who we ask!
        Ben

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 24, 2013
          http://www.kinema.sk/novinka/9313/banicky-chlebicek-online-premiera-zdarma.htm

          ________________________________

          One of my cousins in Slovakia sent me a link to a video about life today in
          the central region of Slovakia where my family was from. I found it very
          interesting but a bit depressing about how bad conditions are there now.
          Here is the link to the video. At the site, click on the one named "Banícky
          chlebíèek". It is in both Slovak and English but there are subtitles during
          the Slovak sections.

          http://www.kinema.sk/

          CK

        • Bette
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 24, 2013
            Thanks for sharing the Documentary: "Mining sandwich" premiere online for free! It was very interesting to see what changes are going on in that area at this time.
            Use Chrome browser so you can read the link in English and it might be easier to find. Click on the girl with the brown hair who is wearing a red jumper and white blouse, her back view.

            Bette

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> wrote:

            > http://www.kinema.sk/novinka/9313/banicky-chlebicek-online-premiera-zdarma.htm
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Nick
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 25, 2013
              >Ben, thanks for the link. Changes to economy bring pain to a lot of
              >people. Growing too fast leaves some people behind (even in
              >Australia there are homeless families) and when the boom finishes
              >more pain begins for those who fall off from the well paid jobs.

              Sad to see it happening in Slovakia when the mining industry closes
              and towns lose their reason for existing.

              Regards
              Nick
            • Ben Sorensen
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 25, 2013
                But do they??? This is showing just one segment of the population! Remember, the film aims to show this side of Slovak life-- a side of Slovak life that seems to be repeated over and over (we have nothing, there is no money, life in Slovakia is hard....) It will sound cold, but many people in Slovakia are almost professional complainers about life. I lived there- made Slovak wages- and certainly money was low. BUT, none of us were starving in my village. We could make the choice to enjoy what we did have or complain that "Slovakia is a small country, with no chance.... ved' nie sme Amerika."

                There are Slovaks, however, who enjoy what they have and keep hope- but they were hardly the focus of this film!
                Ben

                ________________________________
                >Ben, thanks for the link. Changes to economy bring pain to a lot of
                >people. Growing too fast leaves some people behind (even in
                >Australia there are homeless families) and when the boom finishes
                >more pain begins for those who fall off from the well paid jobs.

                Sad to see it happening in Slovakia when the mining industry closes
                and towns lose their reason for existing.

                Regards
                Nick

              • Carl
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 25, 2013
                  I don't know Ben. It seems to be a regional problem. My cousin, who sent me the video, says there are not a lot of jobs in the Gemer region where she lives. Previously, there was a lot of mining in the area and jobs were more plentiful. But now the young people can't find jobs locally and have to go elsewhere. Many go to the Czech Republic. However the big cities seem to be more prosperous than the rural areas. Where did you live?

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> wrote:

                  > But do they??? This is showing just one segment of the population! Remember, the film aims to show this side of Slovak life-- a side of Slovak life that seems to be repeated over and over (we have nothing, there is no money, life in Slovakia is hard....) It will sound cold, but many people in Slovakia are almost professional complainers about life. I lived there- made Slovak wages- and certainly money was low. BUT, none of us were starving in my village. We could make the choice to enjoy what we did have or complain that "Slovakia is a small country, with no chance.... ved' nie sme Amerika."
                  >
                  > There are Slovaks, however, who enjoy what they have and keep hope- but they were hardly the focus of this film!
                  > Ben

                • whiteox_nelson
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 25, 2013
                    I just got back - 3 weeks in Slovakia and 3 in Hungary. There are no borders to speak of and I would say most of the population in those Central European countries being part of the EU have the opportunity to find work where they can. Factories are already there and opening up new ones close to the Slovak border in Hungary and they expect to employ a large Slovak (read multicultural)workforce. As far as the more wealthier countries of Europe are concerned, both Slovakia and Hungary have a much cheaper workforce and government incentives make it economical to invest there. This is happening at the moment.
                    Peter M.