Video about life in Slovakia

  • Carl
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 24, 2013
      One of my cousins in Slovakia sent me a link to a video about life today in the central region of Slovakia where my family was from. I found it very interesting but a bit depressing about how bad conditions are there now. Here is the link to the video. At the site, click on the one named "Banícky chlebíček". It is in both Slovak and English but there are subtitles during the Slovak sections.

      http://www.kinema.sk/

      CK
    • Plichta
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 24, 2013
        I can't find the link you are talking about.

        Please go the web site again.

        Open the video you want us to see.

        The post the URL link of the video you are watching.

        Thanks,

        Frank

        _____

        One of my cousins in Slovakia sent me a link to a video about life today in
        the central region of Slovakia where my family was from. I found it very
        interesting but a bit depressing about how bad conditions are there now.
        Here is the link to the video. At the site, click on the one named "Ban�cky
        chleb��ek". It is in both Slovak and English but there are subtitles during
        the Slovak sections.

        http://www.kinema.sk/

        CK

      • Ben Sorensen
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 24, 2013
          I will give you my opinion when I come back in August. :-) I have seen Slovakia grow up; conditions are horrible for some and great for others... depends on who we ask!
          Ben

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 24, 2013
            http://www.kinema.sk/novinka/9313/banicky-chlebicek-online-premiera-zdarma.htm

            ________________________________

            One of my cousins in Slovakia sent me a link to a video about life today in
            the central region of Slovakia where my family was from. I found it very
            interesting but a bit depressing about how bad conditions are there now.
            Here is the link to the video. At the site, click on the one named "Banícky
            chlebíèek". It is in both Slovak and English but there are subtitles during
            the Slovak sections.

            http://www.kinema.sk/

            CK

          • Bette
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 24, 2013
              Thanks for sharing the Documentary: "Mining sandwich" premiere online for free! It was very interesting to see what changes are going on in that area at this time.
              Use Chrome browser so you can read the link in English and it might be easier to find. Click on the girl with the brown hair who is wearing a red jumper and white blouse, her back view.

              Bette

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> wrote:

              > http://www.kinema.sk/novinka/9313/banicky-chlebicek-online-premiera-zdarma.htm
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Nick
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 25, 2013
                >Ben, thanks for the link. Changes to economy bring pain to a lot of
                >people. Growing too fast leaves some people behind (even in
                >Australia there are homeless families) and when the boom finishes
                >more pain begins for those who fall off from the well paid jobs.

                Sad to see it happening in Slovakia when the mining industry closes
                and towns lose their reason for existing.

                Regards
                Nick
              • Ben Sorensen
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 25, 2013
                  But do they??? This is showing just one segment of the population! Remember, the film aims to show this side of Slovak life-- a side of Slovak life that seems to be repeated over and over (we have nothing, there is no money, life in Slovakia is hard....) It will sound cold, but many people in Slovakia are almost professional complainers about life. I lived there- made Slovak wages- and certainly money was low. BUT, none of us were starving in my village. We could make the choice to enjoy what we did have or complain that "Slovakia is a small country, with no chance.... ved' nie sme Amerika."

                  There are Slovaks, however, who enjoy what they have and keep hope- but they were hardly the focus of this film!
                  Ben

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 25, 2013
                    I don't know Ben. It seems to be a regional problem. My cousin, who sent me the video, says there are not a lot of jobs in the Gemer region where she lives. Previously, there was a lot of mining in the area and jobs were more plentiful. But now the young people can't find jobs locally and have to go elsewhere. Many go to the Czech Republic. However the big cities seem to be more prosperous than the rural areas. Where did you live?

                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> wrote:

                    > But do they??? This is showing just one segment of the population! Remember, the film aims to show this side of Slovak life-- a side of Slovak life that seems to be repeated over and over (we have nothing, there is no money, life in Slovakia is hard....) It will sound cold, but many people in Slovakia are almost professional complainers about life. I lived there- made Slovak wages- and certainly money was low. BUT, none of us were starving in my village. We could make the choice to enjoy what we did have or complain that "Slovakia is a small country, with no chance.... ved' nie sme Amerika."
                    >
                    > There are Slovaks, however, who enjoy what they have and keep hope- but they were hardly the focus of this film!
                    > Ben

                  • whiteox_nelson
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 25, 2013
                      I just got back - 3 weeks in Slovakia and 3 in Hungary. There are no borders to speak of and I would say most of the population in those Central European countries being part of the EU have the opportunity to find work where they can. Factories are already there and opening up new ones close to the Slovak border in Hungary and they expect to employ a large Slovak (read multicultural)workforce. As far as the more wealthier countries of Europe are concerned, both Slovakia and Hungary have a much cheaper workforce and government incentives make it economical to invest there. This is happening at the moment.
                      Peter M.