Re: [Slovak-World] S-R is on Moderation for a While

  • Jacqueline Kornmeyer
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 17 2:44 PM
      Thank you for doing this.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jun 17, 2013, at 2:01 PM, "Ron" <amiak27@...> wrote:

      > Folks,
      >
      > Given the various spam messages that have been hitting Slovak Roots as well as other Yahoo Groups, we moderators have decided to temporarily put Slovak Roots on Moderation.
      >
      > That means you should still FULLY engage in topics of Slovak Genealogy, but expect there will be some delay between your posting and the message showing up on S-R or being forwarded to S-R members who receive messages by e-mail.
      >
      > It also means that we will delete spam messages before they are forwarded to the Group Page or sent on as e-mail.
      >
      > This is a temporary measure, and I cannot tell you how long it will last. It seems spammers have developed new methods that must be addressed industry wide.
      >
      > Bottom line: share your Slovak genealogy topics!
      >
      > Ron M.
      > Moderator

    • barbgolias
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 17 4:39 PM
        Larry,

        I also do what you suggested but I put about 5 to 6 icky addresses that
        sit at the top and also one that sits at the bottom. Knock on wood, it seems
        to help.

        Barb Golias

        In a message dated 6/17/2013 3:49:47 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        lkocik@... writes:

        Ron

        Thank you for your time and effort.

        This spam is aggressive, almost like a virus, but unlike a virus it's more
        of a nuisance and embarrassment.

        I tried something I read about and it seems to work.

        The spam attacks your address book and then goes through alphabeticaly
        sending itself to everyone there.

        I entered a phony address in my address book...one that would be first
        alphabetically.

        I used AAA@abctuliponxyz .com

        When the spam [virus] tries to send it, it gets stuck there and keeps
        trying,...and doesn't go any farther.

        I don't know if this really works [or if contemporary hackers are more
        clever]

        I am also very cautious where I go online and what I open and/or download.

        ......Just something to consider.

        larry