Re: [Slovak-World] S-R is on Moderation for a While

  • lrrykck
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 17, 2013

       Thank you for your time and effort.

       This spam is aggressive, almost like a virus, but unlike a virus it's more of a nuisance and embarrassment.

       I tried something I read about and it seems to work.

       The spam attacks your address book and then goes through alphabeticaly sending itself to everyone there.

       I entered a phony address in my address book...one that would be first alphabetically.

       I used AAA@abctuliponxyz .com

       When the spam [virus] tries to send it, it gets stuck there and keeps trying,...and doesn't go any farther.

           I don't know if this really works  [or if contemporary hackers are more clever]

       I am also very cautious where I go online and what I open and/or download.

       ......Just something to consider.

      larry

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 17, 2013
        Thank you for doing this.

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Jun 17, 2013, at 2:01 PM, "Ron" <amiak27@...> wrote:

        > Folks,
        >
        > Given the various spam messages that have been hitting Slovak Roots as well as other Yahoo Groups, we moderators have decided to temporarily put Slovak Roots on Moderation.
        >
        > That means you should still FULLY engage in topics of Slovak Genealogy, but expect there will be some delay between your posting and the message showing up on S-R or being forwarded to S-R members who receive messages by e-mail.
        >
        > It also means that we will delete spam messages before they are forwarded to the Group Page or sent on as e-mail.
        >
        > This is a temporary measure, and I cannot tell you how long it will last. It seems spammers have developed new methods that must be addressed industry wide.
        >
        > Bottom line: share your Slovak genealogy topics!
        >
        > Ron M.
        > Moderator

      • barbgolias
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 17, 2013
          Larry,

          I also do what you suggested but I put about 5 to 6 icky addresses that
          sit at the top and also one that sits at the bottom. Knock on wood, it seems
          to help.

          Barb Golias

          Ron