S-R is on Moderation for a While

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 17, 2013
      Folks,

      Given the various spam messages that have been hitting Slovak Roots as well as other Yahoo Groups, we moderators have decided to temporarily put Slovak Roots on Moderation.

      That means you should still FULLY engage in topics of Slovak Genealogy, but expect there will be some delay between your posting and the message showing up on S-R or being forwarded to S-R members who receive messages by e-mail.

      It also means that we will delete spam messages before they are forwarded to the Group Page or sent on as e-mail.

      This is a temporary measure, and I cannot tell you how long it will last. It seems spammers have developed new methods that must be addressed industry wide.

      Bottom line: share your Slovak genealogy topics!

      Ron M.
      Moderator
    • lrrykck
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 17, 2013

         Thank you for your time and effort.

         This spam is aggressive, almost like a virus, but unlike a virus it's more of a nuisance and embarrassment.

         I tried something I read about and it seems to work.

         The spam attacks your address book and then goes through alphabeticaly sending itself to everyone there.

         I entered a phony address in my address book...one that would be first alphabetically.

         I used AAA@abctuliponxyz .com

         When the spam [virus] tries to send it, it gets stuck there and keeps trying,...and doesn't go any farther.

             I don't know if this really works  [or if contemporary hackers are more clever]

         I am also very cautious where I go online and what I open and/or download.

         ......Just something to consider.

        larry

        Given the various spam messages that have been hitting Slovak Roots as well as other Yahoo Groups, we moderators have decided to temporarily put Slovak Roots on Moderation.

        That means you should still FULLY engage in topics of Slovak Genealogy, but expect there will be some delay between your posting and the message showing up on S-R or being forwarded to S-R members who receive messages by e-mail.

        It also means that we will delete spam messages before they are forwarded to the Group Page or sent on as e-mail.

        This is a temporary measure, and I cannot tell you how long it will last. It seems spammers have developed new methods that must be addressed industry wide.

        Bottom line: share your Slovak genealogy topics!

        Ron M.
        Moderator

      • Jacqueline Kornmeyer
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 17, 2013
          Thank you for doing this.

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Jun 17, 2013, at 2:01 PM, "Ron" <amiak27@...> wrote:

          > Folks,
          >
          > Given the various spam messages that have been hitting Slovak Roots as well as other Yahoo Groups, we moderators have decided to temporarily put Slovak Roots on Moderation.
          >
          > That means you should still FULLY engage in topics of Slovak Genealogy, but expect there will be some delay between your posting and the message showing up on S-R or being forwarded to S-R members who receive messages by e-mail.
          >
          > It also means that we will delete spam messages before they are forwarded to the Group Page or sent on as e-mail.
          >
          > This is a temporary measure, and I cannot tell you how long it will last. It seems spammers have developed new methods that must be addressed industry wide.
          >
          > Bottom line: share your Slovak genealogy topics!
          >
          > Ron M.
          > Moderator

        • barbgolias
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 17, 2013
            Larry,

            I also do what you suggested but I put about 5 to 6 icky addresses that
            sit at the top and also one that sits at the bottom. Knock on wood, it seems
            to help.

            Barb Golias

            Ron