Re: [Slovak-World] Translation help

  • john aa
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
      ...jedna Kvetna nedeaa v jednom roku......druha Kvetna nedela v druhom roku......cize yena nema kojit dieta rok medzi dvoma Kvetnymi nedelami...

      From: john aa <slovensko00@...>

      From: Armata, Joseph R <armata@...>

      Subject: [Slovak-World] Translation help

      To: "Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com" <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>

      Date: Thursday, June 13, 2013, 8:41 AM

      Native speakers, I'm stuck trying to understand a sentence I ran across in an article. It's talking about superstitions in western Slovakia to protect babies from misfortune, and reads:

      "Matka nesmie diet'a kojit' dve Kvetne nedele, lebo by os~edivelo."

      A mother didn't dare nurse her baby two Palm Sundays, lest the baby go grey (I assume meaning its hair).

      I don't understand how "two Palm Sundays" fits in. Is it saying the baby wasn't nursed on two Palm Sundays, maybe the first two after the baby was born ? Could "dve" be a misprint for "v" (v Kvetne nedele, on Palm Sundays in general babies weren't nursed)?

      I guess they had to go hungry all day. Imagine the crying!!

      Joe

    • Armata, Joseph R
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
        Thanks everyone, that makes sense! I appreciate it, and will be back soon with another sentence I had trouble with.

        Joe