Re: [Slovak-World] Translation help

  • Ben Sorensen
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
      It is odd, to say the least. V Kvetnu nedelu would be the Slovak phrase grammatically, I believe. The dve (two) fits perfectly with the adjective and noun following. :-)

      I cannot, however, find the phrase anywhere in my old books, on google, etc. Perhaps it does actually mean that a child should not be nursed for over a year! But where did the phrase come from????
      Ben

      ________________________________
      From: wfbrna@...
      Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 10:15:33 -0400

      On 6/13/2013 8:41 AM, Armata, Joseph R wrote:

      > Native speakers, I'm stuck trying to understand a sentence I ran
      > across in an article. It's talking about superstitions in western
      > Slovakia to protect babies from misfortune, and reads:
      >
      > "Matka nesmie diet'a kojit' dve Kvetne nedele, lebo by os~edivelo."
      > A mother didn't dare nurse her baby two Palm Sundays, lest the baby go
      > grey (I assume meaning its hair).
      >
      > I don't understand how "two Palm Sundays" fits in. Is it saying the
      > baby wasn't nursed on two Palm Sundays, maybe the first two after the
      > baby was born ? Could "dve" be a misprint for "v" (v Kvetne nedele, on
      > Palm Sundays in general babies weren't nursed)?
      >
      > I guess they had to go hungry all day. Imagine the crying!!
      >
      > Joe

      Joe,

      I'm just surmising that a baby should not be nursed for more than a year.

      Bill Brna

    • Ben Sorensen
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
        AHA! Uz to chapem!

        Translation: Two Palm Sundays... that means... two years.
        Ben

        ...dve Kvetne nedele....to znamena ...dva roky....

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
          ...jedna Kvetna nedeaa v jednom roku......druha Kvetna nedela v druhom roku......cize yena nema kojit dieta rok medzi dvoma Kvetnymi nedelami...

          From: john aa <slovensko00@...>

          From: Armata, Joseph R <armata@...>

          To: "Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com" <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
            Thanks everyone, that makes sense! I appreciate it, and will be back soon with another sentence I had trouble with.

            Joe