RE: [Slovak-World] Translation help

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
      I had the same thought, Joe.

      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      From: wfbrna@...
      Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 10:15:33 -0400
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Translation help

      On 6/13/2013 8:41 AM, Armata, Joseph R wrote:

      > Native speakers, I'm stuck trying to understand a sentence I ran
      > across in an article. It's talking about superstitions in western
      > Slovakia to protect babies from misfortune, and reads:
      >
      > "Matka nesmie diet'a kojit' dve Kvetne nedele, lebo by os~edivelo."
      > A mother didn't dare nurse her baby two Palm Sundays, lest the baby go
      > grey (I assume meaning its hair).
      >
      > I don't understand how "two Palm Sundays" fits in. Is it saying the
      > baby wasn't nursed on two Palm Sundays, maybe the first two after the
      > baby was born ? Could "dve" be a misprint for "v" (v Kvetne nedele, on
      > Palm Sundays in general babies weren't nursed)?
      >
      > I guess they had to go hungry all day. Imagine the crying!!
      >
      > Joe

      Joe,

      I'm just surmising that a baby should not be nursed for more than a year.

      Bill Brna

    • john aa
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
        ...dve Kvetne nedele....to znamena ...dva roky....

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
          It is odd, to say the least. V Kvetnu nedelu would be the Slovak phrase grammatically, I believe. The dve (two) fits perfectly with the adjective and noun following. :-)

          I cannot, however, find the phrase anywhere in my old books, on google, etc. Perhaps it does actually mean that a child should not be nursed for over a year! But where did the phrase come from????
          Ben

          ________________________________
          On 6/13/2013 8:41 AM, Armata, Joseph R wrote:

          > Native speakers, I'm stuck trying to understand a sentence I ran
          > across in an article. It's talking about superstitions in western
          > Slovakia to protect babies from misfortune, and reads:
          >
          > "Matka nesmie diet'a kojit' dve Kvetne nedele, lebo by os~edivelo."
          > A mother didn't dare nurse her baby two Palm Sundays, lest the baby go
          > grey (I assume meaning its hair).
          >
          > I don't understand how "two Palm Sundays" fits in. Is it saying the
          > baby wasn't nursed on two Palm Sundays, maybe the first two after the
          > baby was born ? Could "dve" be a misprint for "v" (v Kvetne nedele, on
          > Palm Sundays in general babies weren't nursed)?
          >
          > I guess they had to go hungry all day. Imagine the crying!!
          >
          > Joe

          Joe,

          I'm just surmising that a baby should not be nursed for more than a year.

          Bill Brna

        • Ben Sorensen
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
            AHA! Uz to chapem!

            Translation: Two Palm Sundays... that means... two years.
            Ben

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
              ...jedna Kvetna nedeaa v jednom roku......druha Kvetna nedela v druhom roku......cize yena nema kojit dieta rok medzi dvoma Kvetnymi nedelami...

              From: john aa <slovensko00@...>

              From: Armata, Joseph R <armata@...>

              To: "Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com" <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
                Thanks everyone, that makes sense! I appreciate it, and will be back soon with another sentence I had trouble with.

                Joe