Re: [Slovak-World] Translation help

  • William
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
      On 6/13/2013 8:41 AM, Armata, Joseph R wrote:

      > Native speakers, I'm stuck trying to understand a sentence I ran
      > across in an article. It's talking about superstitions in western
      > Slovakia to protect babies from misfortune, and reads:
      >
      > "Matka nesmie diet'a kojit' dve Kvetne nedele, lebo by os~edivelo."
      > A mother didn't dare nurse her baby two Palm Sundays, lest the baby go
      > grey (I assume meaning its hair).
      >
      > I don't understand how "two Palm Sundays" fits in. Is it saying the
      > baby wasn't nursed on two Palm Sundays, maybe the first two after the
      > baby was born ? Could "dve" be a misprint for "v" (v Kvetne nedele, on
      > Palm Sundays in general babies weren't nursed)?
      >
      > I guess they had to go hungry all day. Imagine the crying!!
      >
      > Joe

      Joe,

      I'm just surmising that a baby should not be nursed for more than a year.

      Bill Brna

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
        I had the same thought, Joe.

        To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
        From: wfbrna@...
        Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 10:15:33 -0400
        Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Translation help

        On 6/13/2013 8:41 AM, Armata, Joseph R wrote:

        > Native speakers, I'm stuck trying to understand a sentence I ran
        > across in an article. It's talking about superstitions in western
        > Slovakia to protect babies from misfortune, and reads:
        >
        > "Matka nesmie diet'a kojit' dve Kvetne nedele, lebo by os~edivelo."
        > A mother didn't dare nurse her baby two Palm Sundays, lest the baby go
        > grey (I assume meaning its hair).
        >
        > I don't understand how "two Palm Sundays" fits in. Is it saying the
        > baby wasn't nursed on two Palm Sundays, maybe the first two after the
        > baby was born ? Could "dve" be a misprint for "v" (v Kvetne nedele, on
        > Palm Sundays in general babies weren't nursed)?
        >
        > I guess they had to go hungry all day. Imagine the crying!!
        >
        > Joe

        Joe,

        I'm just surmising that a baby should not be nursed for more than a year.

        Bill Brna

      • john aa
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
          ...dve Kvetne nedele....to znamena ...dva roky....

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
            It is odd, to say the least. V Kvetnu nedelu would be the Slovak phrase grammatically, I believe. The dve (two) fits perfectly with the adjective and noun following. :-)

            I cannot, however, find the phrase anywhere in my old books, on google, etc. Perhaps it does actually mean that a child should not be nursed for over a year! But where did the phrase come from????
            Ben

            ________________________________
            On 6/13/2013 8:41 AM, Armata, Joseph R wrote:

            > Native speakers, I'm stuck trying to understand a sentence I ran
            > across in an article. It's talking about superstitions in western
            > Slovakia to protect babies from misfortune, and reads:
            >
            > "Matka nesmie diet'a kojit' dve Kvetne nedele, lebo by os~edivelo."
            > A mother didn't dare nurse her baby two Palm Sundays, lest the baby go
            > grey (I assume meaning its hair).
            >
            > I don't understand how "two Palm Sundays" fits in. Is it saying the
            > baby wasn't nursed on two Palm Sundays, maybe the first two after the
            > baby was born ? Could "dve" be a misprint for "v" (v Kvetne nedele, on
            > Palm Sundays in general babies weren't nursed)?
            >
            > I guess they had to go hungry all day. Imagine the crying!!
            >
            > Joe

            Joe,

            I'm just surmising that a baby should not be nursed for more than a year.

            Bill Brna

          • Ben Sorensen
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
              AHA! Uz to chapem!

              Translation: Two Palm Sundays... that means... two years.
              Ben

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
                ...jedna Kvetna nedeaa v jednom roku......druha Kvetna nedela v druhom roku......cize yena nema kojit dieta rok medzi dvoma Kvetnymi nedelami...

                From: john aa <slovensko00@...>

                From: Armata, Joseph R <armata@...>

                To: "Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com" <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
                  Thanks everyone, that makes sense! I appreciate it, and will be back soon with another sentence I had trouble with.

                  Joe