Translation help

  • Armata, Joseph R
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
      Native speakers, I'm stuck trying to understand a sentence I ran across in an article. It's talking about superstitions in western Slovakia to protect babies from misfortune, and reads:

      "Matka nesmie diet'a kojit' dve Kvetne nedele, lebo by os~edivelo."
      A mother didn't dare nurse her baby two Palm Sundays, lest the baby go grey (I assume meaning its hair).

      I don't understand how "two Palm Sundays" fits in. Is it saying the baby wasn't nursed on two Palm Sundays, maybe the first two after the baby was born ? Could "dve" be a misprint for "v" (v Kvetne nedele, on Palm Sundays in general babies weren't nursed)?

      I guess they had to go hungry all day. Imagine the crying!!

      Joe
    • William
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
        On 6/13/2013 8:41 AM, Armata, Joseph R wrote:

        > Native speakers, I'm stuck trying to understand a sentence I ran
        > across in an article. It's talking about superstitions in western
        > Slovakia to protect babies from misfortune, and reads:
        >
        > "Matka nesmie diet'a kojit' dve Kvetne nedele, lebo by os~edivelo."
        > A mother didn't dare nurse her baby two Palm Sundays, lest the baby go
        > grey (I assume meaning its hair).
        >
        > I don't understand how "two Palm Sundays" fits in. Is it saying the
        > baby wasn't nursed on two Palm Sundays, maybe the first two after the
        > baby was born ? Could "dve" be a misprint for "v" (v Kvetne nedele, on
        > Palm Sundays in general babies weren't nursed)?
        >
        > I guess they had to go hungry all day. Imagine the crying!!
        >
        > Joe

        Joe,

        I'm just surmising that a baby should not be nursed for more than a year.

        Bill Brna

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
          I had the same thought, Joe.

          To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
          From: wfbrna@...
          Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 10:15:33 -0400
          Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Translation help

          On 6/13/2013 8:41 AM, Armata, Joseph R wrote:

          > Native speakers, I'm stuck trying to understand a sentence I ran
          > across in an article. It's talking about superstitions in western
          > Slovakia to protect babies from misfortune, and reads:
          >
          > "Matka nesmie diet'a kojit' dve Kvetne nedele, lebo by os~edivelo."
          > A mother didn't dare nurse her baby two Palm Sundays, lest the baby go
          > grey (I assume meaning its hair).
          >
          > I don't understand how "two Palm Sundays" fits in. Is it saying the
          > baby wasn't nursed on two Palm Sundays, maybe the first two after the
          > baby was born ? Could "dve" be a misprint for "v" (v Kvetne nedele, on
          > Palm Sundays in general babies weren't nursed)?
          >
          > I guess they had to go hungry all day. Imagine the crying!!
          >
          > Joe

          Joe,

          I'm just surmising that a baby should not be nursed for more than a year.

          Bill Brna

        • john aa
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
            ...dve Kvetne nedele....to znamena ...dva roky....

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
              It is odd, to say the least. V Kvetnu nedelu would be the Slovak phrase grammatically, I believe. The dve (two) fits perfectly with the adjective and noun following. :-)

              I cannot, however, find the phrase anywhere in my old books, on google, etc. Perhaps it does actually mean that a child should not be nursed for over a year! But where did the phrase come from????
              Ben

              ________________________________
              On 6/13/2013 8:41 AM, Armata, Joseph R wrote:

              > Native speakers, I'm stuck trying to understand a sentence I ran
              > across in an article. It's talking about superstitions in western
              > Slovakia to protect babies from misfortune, and reads:
              >
              > "Matka nesmie diet'a kojit' dve Kvetne nedele, lebo by os~edivelo."
              > A mother didn't dare nurse her baby two Palm Sundays, lest the baby go
              > grey (I assume meaning its hair).
              >
              > I don't understand how "two Palm Sundays" fits in. Is it saying the
              > baby wasn't nursed on two Palm Sundays, maybe the first two after the
              > baby was born ? Could "dve" be a misprint for "v" (v Kvetne nedele, on
              > Palm Sundays in general babies weren't nursed)?
              >
              > I guess they had to go hungry all day. Imagine the crying!!
              >
              > Joe

              Joe,

              I'm just surmising that a baby should not be nursed for more than a year.

              Bill Brna

            • Ben Sorensen
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
                AHA! Uz to chapem!

                Translation: Two Palm Sundays... that means... two years.
                Ben

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
                  ...jedna Kvetna nedeaa v jednom roku......druha Kvetna nedela v druhom roku......cize yena nema kojit dieta rok medzi dvoma Kvetnymi nedelami...

                  From: john aa <slovensko00@...>

                  From: Armata, Joseph R <armata@...>

                  To: "Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com" <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
                    Thanks everyone, that makes sense! I appreciate it, and will be back soon with another sentence I had trouble with.

                    Joe