Re: Travel

  • jusufzemplin
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 1, 2013
      Around Slovinky you will have Gemer, resp. southern Spiš regions, around Torysky wonderful Spiš region. There exists thematical routes - so called Iron Route http://www.zeleznacesta.sk/index.php/en/ ,and Gothic route http://www.gothicroute.sk/index.html with Levoca, Spišský hrad, Kežmarok...
      A lot of to see...

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Julie Michutka <jmm@...> wrote:

      > Sorry my thumb hit send too soon! Contact Helene Cincebeaux about Torysky; it's a town she takes groups to. Sweet place; great memories of our stop there. I really like the design of the village kroj. You'll have a great trip!
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone
      >
      > On May 31, 2013, at 4:54 PM, "mkgraban" <marlene.graban@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Looking forward to traveling to Slovakia for the first time the end of Aug.to visit towns that my husbands family came from. Hope to visit Slovinky (his dads side of the family) and Torysky (his mothers side of the family) among other towns. Any travel advice?

    • JOHN
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 2, 2013
        The best map book is Podrobny Auto Atlas, scale 1: 100,000.

        How are you getting there? Via Vienna/Bratislava or Kosice? Tell us more and we can offer better advice.

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "mkgraban" <marlene.graban@...> wrote:

        > Looking forward to traveling to Slovakia for the first time the end of Aug.to visit towns that my husbands family came from. Hope to visit Slovinky (his dads side of the family) and Torysky (his mothers side of the family) among other towns. Any travel advice?

      • mkgraban
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 3, 2013
          The plan is to fly into Kosice. Is it best to rent a car or hire a driver? Where would be the best place to stay so that we can travel to Slovinky and Torysky? I should also add that we don't speak Slovak. A cousin that knows the language and some family there from my husbands grandmother side of the family will also be there at the same time we are.

          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 3, 2013
            Hi, I think, it is better and cheaper to rent a car (though I have no experience with, but I have with taxi drivers). If you would like to stay in between Torysky and Slovinky , I would recommend for e.g. Spisske podhradie with numerous small accommodations, possibly with direct view on Spissky hrad (castle).
            I`ve just found some blog about villages visit in `99 http://www.leslie-turek.com/trip9.html , http://www.leslie-turek.com/index.html .

            jozef

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "mkgraban" <marlene.graban@...> wrote:

            > The plan is to fly into Kosice. Is it best to rent a car or hire a driver? Where would be the best place to stay so that we can travel to Slovinky and Torysky? I should also add that we don't speak Slovak. A cousin that knows the language and some family there from my husbands grandmother side of the family will also be there at the same time we are.
            >
            > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN" <johnqadam@> wrote:
            > >
            > > The best map book is Podrobny Auto Atlas, scale 1: 100,000.
            > >
            > > How are you getting there? Via Vienna/Bratislava or Kosice? Tell us more and we can offer better advice.
            > >

            > > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "mkgraban" <marlene.graban@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Looking forward to traveling to Slovakia for the first time the end of Aug.to visit towns that my husbands family came from. Hope to visit Slovinky (his dads side of the family) and Torysky (his mothers side of the family) among other towns. Any travel advice?

          • Julie Michutka
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 3, 2013
              For my last trip (2006) I used a couple of the standard guide books (such as Lonely Planet) to scope out hotels and pensions for the areas in which I wanted to stay. I would pick ones that had a website (probably many more of them by now), check them out there, and make reservations online. You might be able to get a good sense of how well they can handle English-only visitors. This worked pretty well for me.

              I ended up liking the pensions better than the hotels (cheaper, among other things), but I can muddle my way through Slovak. The pensions (then) seemed less likely to have English-speaking staff.

              I learned to drive a stick shift just so I could rent a car in Slovakia. Vlad Lindner, who travels to Slovakia frequently, had given this list some good recommendations on renting cars. Perhaps he or someone else can do so again.

              Absolutely get that Podrobny Auto Atlas (make sure it's the big 1:100,000 scale). Not only is it near-essential for traveling around the country, but it's a great resource later as you continue to learn more about your family history. The cover on my copy has fallen off because I use it so much.

              Know that things will not always go exactly as you planned, and that's ok; just roll with it as best you can. Last trip, on our first full day, after a looong drive in 90 degree heat (no a/c in the car) and unexpected road construction, totally jet-lagged, my daughter and I returned to our car (after finding that the pension we planned to stay at had no vacancies) to find that the car had been booted. I looked at my exhausted overheated teenager and said, "this really stinks now, but it's a future funny story." We treated ourselves to ice cream later, and gave a humorous spin to the story of that day's tribulations as soon as we could. (And I thank Helene Cincebeaux for teaching me, years ago now, that one can in fact look back on a day like that with humor.)

              ~ Julie Michutka

              On Jun 3, 2013, at 8:42 AM, mkgraban wrote:

              > The plan is to fly into Kosice. Is it best to rent a car or hire a driver? Where would be the best place to stay so that we can travel to Slovinky and Torysky? I should also add that we don't speak Slovak. A cousin that knows the language and some family there from my husbands grandmother side of the family will also be there at the same time we are.
              >
              > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN" <johnqadam@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> The best map book is Podrobny Auto Atlas, scale 1: 100,000.
              >>
              >> How are you getting there? Via Vienna/Bratislava or Kosice? Tell us more and we can offer better advice.
              >>

              >> --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "mkgraban" <marlene.graban@> wrote:
              >>>
              >>> Looking forward to traveling to Slovakia for the first time the end of Aug.to visit towns that my husbands family came from. Hope to visit Slovinky (his dads side of the family) and Torysky (his mothers side of the family) among other towns. Any travel advice?

            • bjlkltd
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 3, 2013
                Although most of the major international news sources are reporting serious
                flooding problems in central Europe--including Prague--they seem to ignore
                the Slovak Republic, which also shares the same weather risk at this time.
                For more pertinent and current information, check out:

                http://spectator.sme.sk/articles/view/50278/10/slovakia_faces_floods.html

                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 3, 2013
                  I've seen reports of flooding on the Danube from Pressau through Budapest and everything in between.

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Jun 3, 2013, at 12:17 PM, BJLK@... wrote:

                  > Although most of the major international news sources are reporting serious
                  > flooding problems in central Europe--including Prague--they seem to ignore
                  > the Slovak Republic, which also shares the same weather risk at this time.
                  > For more pertinent and current information, check out:
                  >
                  > http://spectator.sme.sk/articles/view/50278/10/slovakia_faces_floods.html

                • Claudia Medvik
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 3, 2013
                    Don't know about traveling to Europe this summer. THere's flooding there again as bad as in 2002...

                    To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                    From: jmm@...
                    Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 11:27:00 -0400
                    Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Travel

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 3, 2013
                      Here is an artsy video of Eastern Slovakia on youtube. Nice shots.

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=leWBN7A74lQ#

                      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "mkgraban" <marlene.graban@...> wrote:

                      > Looking forward to traveling to Slovakia for the first time the end of Aug.to visit towns that my husbands family came from. Hope to visit Slovinky (his dads side of the family) and Torysky (his mothers side of the family) among other towns. Any travel advice?

                    • Fred G Kovalyak
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 4, 2013
                           Thank you for that wonderful video of Eastern SLOVAKIA
                         I really enjoyed it and shared it with my  3 children, in the hopes they would  like take
                        a journey to Slovakia.
                          FGK,  Columbia,MD

                        >Here is an artsy video of Eastern Slovakia on youtube. Nice shots.
                        >
                        >http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=leWBN7A74lQ#
                        >

                        >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "mkgraban" <marlene.graban@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> Looking forward to traveling to Slovakia for the first time the end of Aug.to visit towns that my husbands family came from.  Hope to visit Slovinky (his dads side of the family) and Torysky (his mothers side of the family) among other towns. Any travel advice?

                      • helene cincebeaux
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 6, 2013
                          I received this sad letter from a Slovak in Presov who is looking for work - can someone help him? Didn't sound like a scam. He is a mason and speaks some English.

                          helene

                          Pekný deò prajem. Chcel by som Vás poprosi» èi nemáte, alebo neviete o nejakej práci. Som Jano z Pre¹ova,mám 44 rokov, som zdravý, nefajèiar a otec 4 detí. Viem robi» hocièo aj dobre varím. Zosuvy pôdy mi po¹kodili dom a nedostatok práce na Slovensku ma núti znovu sa vyda» do sveta. Pracoval som u¾ v Írsku ako kamenár skoro 6 rokov. Ovládam trochu angliètinu,som pracovitý,èestný,zodpovedný. Vezmem èokoµvek, èo pomô¾e postavi» sa znovu na nohy. Hoci je ¹anca malá, ¾e cudziemu èloveku odpoviete, predsa Vám srdeène ïakujem a prajem v¹etko dobré. Dovi. Jano

                          his e mail is nehnutelnosti888@...
                        • Ron
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 6, 2013
                            Times appear to be tough in Slovakia and Europe. I have two young cousins who are new to the work market, and they had to leave Eastern Slovakia to find jobs in Bratislava and Prague.

                            I will be giving up a beautiful Alaska sunny summer to go over into the rain and floods this Saturday. I hope I bring them sunshine (all my responsibility, like MacArthur returning to the Philippines!)

                            There is a 3 week refresher Slovak course on the calendar and the wedding of my Goddaughter in Munich right after that. Then I have to dash back to Slovakia to enjoy August and practice the language. I was in a seminar and two Russian professors were arguing about data and its meaning on Climate Change, and was able to pick out "kazdy den" in one's "daily data readings". Otherwise Russians speak lousy Slovak.

                            Best of luck to the mason! European masters often have a sense of art in their work that we don't see in the US.

                            Ron

                            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:

                            > I received this sad letter from a Slovak in Presov who is looking for work - can someone help him? Didn't sound like a scam. He is a mason and speaks some English.
                            >
                            > helene
                            >
                            > Pekn� de� prajem. Chcel by som V�s poprosi� �i nem�te, alebo neviete o nejakej pr�ci. Som Jano z Pre�ova,m�m 44 rokov, som zdrav�, nefaj�iar a otec 4 det�. Viem robi� hoci�o aj dobre var�m. Zosuvy p�dy mi po�kodili dom a nedostatok pr�ce na Slovensku ma n�ti znovu sa vyda� do sveta. Pracoval som u� v �rsku ako kamen�r skoro 6 rokov. Ovl�dam trochu angli�tinu,som pracovit�,�estn�,zodpovedn�. Vezmem �oko�vek, �o pom��e postavi� sa znovu na nohy. Hoci je �anca mal�, �e cudziemu �loveku odpoviete, predsa V�m srde�ne �akujem a prajem v�etko dobr�. Dovi. Jano
                            >
                            > his e mail is nehnutelnosti888@...

                          • Vladimir Linder
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 6, 2013
                              Hi Ron, I am In Slovakia as of June 20 until August 7.

                              Vladi

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 6, 2013
                                Hi Vlad!

                                Great to hear that. I will have to pause sometime to think of how we can work out getting together sometime. I have been wanting to do that for years, so we can try to work it out by private email. It might work on my way from the Krakow-Lubovna to school in Modra around the 4th or 5th of July,if I can divert on the way south to where you may be.

                                Will be in touch. I am excited about the trip and all that may happen.

                                Ron

                                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Vladimir Linder <vlinder49@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Ron, I am In Slovakia as of June 20 until August 7.
                                >
                                > Vladi
                                >
                                > At 07:55 AM 6/6/2013, you wrote:
                                > >

                                > >Times appear to be tough in Slovakia and Europe.
                                > >I have two young cousins who are new to the work
                                > >market, and they had to leave Eastern Slovakia
                                > >to find jobs in Bratislava and Prague.
                                > >
                                > >I will be giving up a beautiful Alaska sunny
                                > >summer to go over into the rain and floods this
                                > >Saturday. I hope I bring them sunshine (all my
                                > >responsibility, like MacArthur returning to the Philippines!)
                                > >
                                > >There is a 3 week refresher Slovak course on the
                                > >calendar and the wedding of my Goddaughter in
                                > >Munich right after that. Then I have to dash
                                > >back to Slovakia to enjoy August and practice
                                > >the language. I was in a seminar and two Russian
                                > >professors were arguing about data and its
                                > >meaning on Climate Change, and was able to pick
                                > >out "kazdy den" in one's "daily data readings".
                                > >Otherwise Russians speak lousy Slovak.
                                > >
                                > >Best of luck to the mason! European masters
                                > >often have a sense of art in their work that we don't see in the US.
                                > >
                                > >Ron
                                > >
                                > >--- In
                                > ><mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com,
                                > >helene cincebeaux <helenezx@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > I received this sad letter from a Slovak in
                                > > Presov who is looking for work - can someone
                                > > help him? Didn't sound like a scam. He is a mason and speaks some English.
                                > > >
                                > > > helene
                                > > >
                                > > > Pekn� de� prajem. Chcel by som V�s
                                > > poprosi� �i nem�te, alebo neviete o
                                > > nejakej pr�ci. Som Jano z Pre�ova,m�m 44
                                > > rokov, som zdrav�, nefaj�iar a otec 4
                                > > det�. Viem robi� hoci�o aj dobre var�m.
                                > > Zosuvy p�dy mi po�kodili dom a nedostatok
                                > > pr�ce na Slovensku ma n�ti znovu sa vyda�
                                > > do sveta. Pracoval som u� v �rsku ako
                                > > kamen�r skoro 6 rokov. Ovl�dam trochu
                                > > angli�tinu,som
                                > > pracovit�,�estn�,zodpovedn�. Vezmem
                                > > �oko�vek, �o pom��e postavi� sa
                                > > znovu na nohy. Hoci je �anca mal�, �e
                                > > cudziemu �loveku odpoviete, predsa V�m
                                > > srde�ne �akujem a prajem v�etko dobr�. Dovi. Jano
                                > > >
                                > > > his e mail is nehnutelnosti888@

                              • cvargacvarga
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 25, 2013
                                  I realize I'm jumping in here a bit late. I usually fly into Vienna from the US. It seems to be less expensive flying into Kosice. I usually spend a day/night in Bratislava and then take a nice train trip to the eastern part of the country. Maybe it would be cheaper to fly into Kosice than spend a night in Bratislava, but I do like the train trip.

                                  As to language. Between now and the end of Aug. you can easily learn 50 words. This would help you and the people there will be impressed that you made the effort.

                                  Colin