Cause of Death (po Slovensky)

  • popolaititi
    Message 1 of 2 , May 29, 2013
      Hi All,
      Old member here.
      Am looking at a National Slovak Society
      Insurance application from nearly 100 years ago.

      It shows a cause of death for a 70 year old as
      (as best as I can read it)

      Nazafca cen'e

      I've uploaded a scan called
      Cause of Death
      in files.

      I'd appreciate it if anyone can tell me the
      Slovak words as well as the translation.

      D'akujem.
      Dave
    • jusufzemplin
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2013
        Hi, I think , the age could be 50, but I know, it`s not what are you asking for.
        The scan is not very good - the pen-line is very thick. Can you provide better scan - better in grayscale than black/white ?
        Additionally - can you provide some other scanned words , written by the same hand ? I mean - larger crop from a page. If one is not sure with a letter, it is useful to see other examples of the same letters in known context (name etc.).
        In my opinion the word could be "nazapaleòe". I can imagine it as "slang" non-gramatic expression for "zápal" - inflammation in general or pneumonia (zápal p¾úc) - it was frequent fatal disease (or at least official cause of death).
        "zapaleòe" is normal dialctic shape of "zápal" , indicating eastern-slovak origin. "Na zapaleòe" would equal "Due to inflammation".
        Only "p" looks as 2 letters, that`s why I would like to see another "P" from the same scriptor...