Medieval Slovak History

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 2 , May 10 12:21 PM
      Poking around on the internet for historical sources, occasionally I will run across an academic paper that covers areas of interest. In this case I ran across two; first one on a pay-to-view academic site, and the second as I searched for the first paper once I had time to look it over. Often I find sites will want to sell you access to papers that are readily downloadable elsewhere for free. That proved to be the case here.

      Over the last few years we have followed as floods took place in Slovakia. Here are two references that cover floods and other aspects of life that some of you may find interesting around the 1300's. Of course Hungarian history is often our history, and these papers demonstrate that well.

      Of course most of the detail will not be of interest unless it involves the area of our ancestors, but then it is up to the individual to sort out items / areas of interest. It will take me some time to sort through these myself, but by posting here, I do not lose the source, and perhaps gain comment from other intersted people.

      Ron

      A quick 11 page write-up

      Journal of Env. Geogr. Vol. II. No. 3-4. (2009) pp.
      37-47
      FLOODS AND WEATHER IN 1342 AND 1343 IN THE CARPATHIAN BASIN
      Kiss, Andrea
      1
      http://www.geo.u-szeged.hu/journal/files/articles/5.%20Kiss%20A.%202010_0.pdf

      And a much longer, 323 page detailed doctoral dissertation

      Floods and Long-Term Water-Level Changes in Late Medieval Hungary
      www.etd.ceu.hu/2011/mphkis22.pdf

      Now I hope that all sends and works alright!
    • haluska
      Message 2 of 2 , May 28 2:23 PM
        Ron,
        Flood waters are very interesting to me as My G-G-Grandfather died in flood .The river near Remeniny and Bystre former Saros.His body was never recovered....1884.

        I will post the priests comments from his death entry in our files.....he was the last entry in December that year but he died in June.Guess the priest pronounced him dead.

        The story is very close to what was handed down through generations except for the fact that it seems to be embelished somewhat.....I heard from part of the family that he was a strong man who died lifting a horse from the river....

        Dennis