Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Embroidered cloth translation

  • Nemam Meno
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 8, 2013
      Helen:
      It’s an old
      folk song and an old adage at the same time.  I know it as “Zaspievalo vtáča na kosodrevine, čo komu súdené, to ho ver
      neminie.”
      Simply put, it implies that you get what you deserve.  Literally, however, it says: a singing bird on
      scrub warns that what your fate (what has been adjudged) has prepared for you,
      it won’t miss you.  Of course, in Slovak,
      it rhymes, it’s poetically written, and it sounds more eloquent than my
      mediocre translation, which is neither poetic nor elegant.
      Take care,

      ________________________________
      From: dogislove2@...
      Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 03:42:20 +0000

      Thank you,Dennis, for telling me about uploading the photo to the Files section. I just did that. I'll appreciate any help anybody can give me!
      Karen

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Karen Dreucci" <dogislove2@...> wrote:

      > I have a lovely embroidered cloth with birds, flowers, and a saying that I think is in Slovak. Is there anybody who would be willing to look at a picture of it and possibly give me some idea of what it says? I can email the photo to anybody who will take a look at it. Thank you! Karen Dreucci

    • Karen Dreucci
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 8, 2013
        Hi,

        I am not at home this week, but will gladly upload another photo next week. Thank you for your help!

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 9, 2013
          Thanks, that's pretty much what I got too, but I just wanted to make sure.

          To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
          From: menonemam@...
          Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 12:24:02 -0700

          Helen:
          It's an old
          folk song and an old adage at the same time. I know it as "Zaspievalo vt��a na kosodrevine, �o komu s�den�, to ho ver

          To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
          From: dogislove2@...
          Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 03:42:20 +0000

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 17, 2013