Re: Embroidered cloth translation

  • Karen Dreucci
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2013
      Thank you,Dennis, for telling me about uploading the photo to the Files section. I just did that. I'll appreciate any help anybody can give me!
      Karen

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 8, 2013
        Karen,
        Did you ever get a translation of what's embroidered on the cloth? If not, could you take another photo? The one you posted is just blurry enough on a crucial word to make it hard to make out.

        To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
        From: dogislove2@...
        Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 03:42:20 +0000
        Subject: [Slovak-World] Re: Embroidered cloth translation

        Thank you,Dennis, for telling me about uploading the photo to the Files section. I just did that. I'll appreciate any help anybody can give me!
        Karen

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Karen Dreucci" <dogislove2@...> wrote:

        > I have a lovely embroidered cloth with birds, flowers, and a saying that I think is in Slovak. Is there anybody who would be willing to look at a picture of it and possibly give me some idea of what it says? I can email the photo to anybody who will take a look at it. Thank you! Karen Dreucci

      • Nemam Meno
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 8, 2013
          Helen:
          It’s an old
          folk song and an old adage at the same time.  I know it as “Zaspievalo vtáča na kosodrevine, čo komu súdené, to ho ver
          neminie.”
          Simply put, it implies that you get what you deserve.  Literally, however, it says: a singing bird on
          scrub warns that what your fate (what has been adjudged) has prepared for you,
          it won’t miss you.  Of course, in Slovak,
          it rhymes, it’s poetically written, and it sounds more eloquent than my
          mediocre translation, which is neither poetic nor elegant.
          Take care,

          ________________________________

          To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
          From: dogislove2@...
          Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 03:42:20 +0000

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 8, 2013
            Hi,

            I am not at home this week, but will gladly upload another photo next week. Thank you for your help!

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 9, 2013
              Thanks, that's pretty much what I got too, but I just wanted to make sure.

              To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
              From: menonemam@...
              Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 12:24:02 -0700

              Helen:
              It's an old
              folk song and an old adage at the same time. I know it as "Zaspievalo vt��a na kosodrevine, �o komu s�den�, to ho ver

              To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
              From: dogislove2@...
              Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 03:42:20 +0000

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 17, 2013